[HacktionLab] Video and audio streaming and recording at HL: notes & needs

Mike Harris mike at mbharris.co.uk
Tue Apr 25 06:20:42 UTC 2023

Hi All,

@Nick_Sellan and myself spent some time last night looking at set-ups
for streaming and recording at HL in June.  We came to the conclusion
that it was definitely doable and here's a summary of what we found out.

I'll start with what we need first, then go on to our set-up.

We are up for doing it but feel *we need a couple of others who are also
up for it*, so that we are not 'stuck' doing it and can between us
coordinate to attend others' talks and give our own, if we are.

We wonder if *someone has a spare Linux laptop (or desktop)* (Nick can
provide the spec) that they could dedicate to the event to be the
streaming laptop.

*Co-ordinating with Gareth*, we'll need to double check how the room can
be set up and that it's suitable (light wise, physical space, access to
a screen to project onto) before lugging the equipment to Sheffield.

And here's the summary:

 1. Using an install of BigBlueButton <https://bigbluebutton.org/> and
    GreenLight <https://bigbluebutton.org/2018/07/09/greenlight-2-0/> we
    can do a video conferencing type presentation with a presenter
    sharing a screen and their own laptop camera, and a fixed video
    camera in the room.
 2. We can have a separate audio set-up with a fixed ambient mic for the
    room and a fix mic for the speaker.  We also have a wireless mic
    that could be used.  The audio will come into a small mixer, as will
    any audio from the speaker's laptop.
 3. The speaker's laptop is connected to a video projector/screen
    directly and audio out via the aforementioned mixer.
 4. We have a laptop dedicated to being the streaming laptop, streaming
    the room audio and fixed video.
 5. We can record every session using the BBB setup.
 6. At AbbeyField House we have two rooms and felt that we could have
    one with this set-up in and the other without.  So to be recorded
    streamed you'll need to be in the room, and being recorded or
    streamed is not compulsory if in the room.
 7. We felt the set-up would work for both 'presenter' style talks with
    slides etc, a group discussion, a hybrid of the two, and also for a
    remote speaker.

Nick took notes from our discussion and experiments, so for more in
depth thoughts and notes GOTO:
https://pad.kanthaus.online/hacktionlab-streaming?view

There's a recording of our experiment if you'd like to see the quality
and have a laugh at https://socialcoop.meet.coop/nic-dgl-xso-zib (it's
the longer of the two recordings, taken on the 24th April).

---
Mike Harris

Email:mike at mbharris.co.uk
Web:https://mbharris.co.uk  .https://xtreamlabnet  .https://elsevier.com