[HacktionLab] wiping phones data

sb partisansb at riseup.net
Tue Nov 21 22:00:37 UTC 2023

Hi all,

Long time lurker here, hi. The question is how deep do you want to go?

Like Micah mentioned, completely reinstalling the OS is the only way to go in my opinion. Underpinning most modern smartphones is that they actually have multiple partitions, most of which are not actually visible to most users, even using adb "Android Device Bridge" which is like ssh but for android. You would need to change the bootloader on the phone to something like TWRP which will give you access from the phone, then you could use something like Fastboot which flashes filesystems from command line, but it's all pretty technical and you could end up bricking the phone... Check out xdaforums.com for more info.

When doing a factory reset, there is actually a duplicate hidden partition of the main one, that just gets reloaded onto the main one if it goes down. When you flash the bootloader with another manager, that's how you get access. Hope that makes sense. I have no idea about iPhone s.

Good luck,

;)