[HacktionLab] website help request

Michael Reinsborough m.reinsborough at qub.ac.uk
Tue Jul 23 06:57:49 UTC 2024

Hi Hacktionistas,

looking for help finishing a website.  This is an oral history archive for the anti-globalisation movement focusing on the initial networks that got going the first Global Days of Action ( J18, Seattle protest, Prague G8 protest).

We no longer have access to the designer who built it for  us, so I copied website from https://gitlab.com/taoca/pga-oral-history to https://gitlab.com/initiative6722422/pga-oral-history and delinked it in order to be able to make the site public (The domain name is still linked to tao’s gitlab pages at https://pgaoralhistory.net but I can repoint the domain name once the new location of the site is working).  The new version doesn’t seem to have any formatting https://pga-oral-history-initiative6722422-0232d7e4b554b66b3e2a75990e8b.gitlab.io/  I think there is something wrong with the CSS (relative vs absolute path) perhaps? https://gitlab.com/initiative6722422/pga-oral-history/-/blob/master/themes/digitalgarden/layouts/partials/head.html?ref_type=heads#L25

The site uses HUGO to generate static pages which are then posted using the Gitlab PAGES application.  Site readme at https://gitlab.com/initiative6722422/pga-oral-history/-/blob/working/README.md?ref_type=heads

This whole project is stalled out now because I don’t know what I’m doing with HUGO, CSS, and I’m new to gitlab PAGES:

  *   Is this something simple that someone more familiar with static pages can point out to me what I’m doing wrong?
  *   If not, can anyone recommend someone who might be able to fix this?  Our budget is pretty minimal ≤£400.  Perhaps some of you on this list might take a job like this?
  *   When I’m moving the domain name to point at the working website I would love any help/suggestions on how to configure the certificate.
  *   Down the road when we soft-launch the site (first publicising only to the interviewees and others activists from this specific anti-globalization network) we will get feedback on changes to the site to match what the users want (perhaps things like rearranging some of the menu bars, adding images, or changing colours) so that would also be helpful if someone knew or wanted to learn simple HUGO stuff.  Not sure about being  able to get more funding if that becomes necessary but I can always try to ask the Canadian part of the project team.

Solidarity & Autonomy,
  Michael
Michael Reinsborough
    +44 7729785327 mobile | m.reinsborough at qub.ac.uk<mailto:m.reinsborough at qub.ac.uk>