[Haiti-London-Konbit] Haiti: Six Months Later

Haiti-London-Konbit haiti-london-konbit at lists.aktivix.org
Tue Jul 13 19:08:08 UTC 2010

Haiti: Six Months Later

There seems to have been a flurry of media reports about Haiti
commemorating the 6th month anniversary of the earthquake. The general
picture is one in which only a fraction of the millions of dollars
donated by the general public and charity organizations has been
converted into concrete assistance for the people of Haiti. The best
and most in-depth of these reports is by Amy Goodman for Democracy
Now. She exlains how despite $11 billion of aid promised Haitians have
only seen 10 percent of this.

David Muir of ABC news reports that there is still 25 million cubic
tones of rubble in the streets of Port-au-Prince and that only 10,000
new shelters have found their way to the 1.7 million homeless, less
than 10% of that required.

According an article on Haitian-Truth.org one of the causes for the
delays in the flow of aid are the Customs Authorities who are rumored
to be charging extortionate import taxes on medical and building
supplies donated by non-registered charities.

In his interview with Amy Goodman, Patrick Elie, former Secretary of
State for Public Security in Haiti, claims that the part of the %10
that has been spent was used to fund the US military security
operation immediately after the disaster. He believes that without
vigilance on the part of Haiti and its international friends, what he
calls the 'Grand-Scale Vultures' of mercenary military corporations -
such as Haliburton, Black Water, DynCorp - will syphon off most of the
aid revenue from the international NGO's.

On a postive note he discusses the revival of neighborhood committees
who have been taking care of public security and organization. There
has emerged a federation of neighborhood committees that could form
the basis for a new form of collective organization and politics in
Haiti.

"We are a people who can fend for ourselves" he says. "We have a
vision of where we want to go. So we do need friends but we don’t need
people to think for us, or to pity us. That is probably the attitude
that’s playing a part in the aid not being forthcoming. Our friends,
if they are friends, should trust us."

Amy Goodman also interviews Beverly Bell at Camp Corail, a refugee
built between two killing fields from the Duvalier and post-Aristide
era seven miles outside Port-au-Prince, in one of the hottest and most
exposed areas of the country with no natural shelter. The site is
inhabited by 13,ooo families displaced from makeshift camps in the
capital -  many forcibly evicted by the Haitian police and MINUSTAH
forces -  with no transportation back to the city where the only
meagre food and medical aid is still available. Rape has become a
serious problem in the camps underling the necessity for secure and
permanent housing. Food aid and water aid are being discontinued in
many of the camps after Haitian businessmen claimed that their profits
are being undercut. There is as yet no clear government plan for the
rebuilding of Haiti.

One resident from Camp Corail explains how at a meeting with the
representative of the NGO's responsible for managing the camp refused
to listen to any of their concerns and he told that they were living
better now than they were in Port-au-Prince. Residents of the camps
believe that the aid is still in the hands of the major NGO's who have
said nothing about the situation and the that President Preval is
powerless to do anything about this.

Despite the desperate need for adequate housing for the vast majority
of Haitians and the running dry of food and water aid, several new
free enterprise zones have been created since the earthquake as part
of Bill Clinton's plans for Haitian 'reconstruction'. Some of these
are being built directly in the refugee camps.

Bell outlines an alternative plan for the reconstruction of Haiti that
is not yet being heard by the international community.