[HANDgreenteam] Metro releases State of the Watersheds report

ethan ethan at handpdx.org
Wed Jun 24 21:44:03 BST 2009

The Portland metropolitan region is the largest urban area in Oregon.
We have a unique responsibility to protect water quality and the
natural resources so important to all Oregonians. With that
responsibility comes an obligation to be transparent and accountable.

In 2005, the Metro Council adopted ambitious goals for protecting our
clean water, natural areas and important wildlife habitat. Working
with partners from across the region, the Metro Council struck a
strategic bargain – forgo additional regulation of watershed health in
exchange for a commitment by local governments, developers and
citizens to get the job done.

The Metro Council included one important condition: the region must
create a rigorous, scientifically sound monitoring program to ensure
accountability for results.

We are pleased to share with you the results of Metro's State of the
Watersheds 2008 report. The report sets a baseline for the condition
of the region's watersheds. More importantly, it fulfills our regional
commitment by documenting our progress using science-based, repeatable
indicators.

The 2008 report takes advantage of new technology and improved data
for several important environmental indicators. The new technology can
measure results across watersheds but now also across local government
boundaries. The new information will help ensure action is taken, if
needed, to prevent losses that are above the region's targets, and
will help highlight successful local actions. The changes in data
collection methods mean we will begin to see trends for some
indicators with the next report, due out in 2010.

This is a great region. Our vibrant communities, transportation
options and clean air and water are the envy of communities across the
nation. That's why more people are moving here all the time. If we are
going to accommodate the growth that is predicted for our region, it
is more important than ever to ensure we protect and monitor watershed
health.

Please take some time to review the State of the Watersheds 2008
report and look at the maps showing the indicators Metro is tracking.
It's on Metro's web site at www.oregonmetro.gov/watersheds. The Metro
Council welcomes your comments and feedback and your ongoing
commitment to protecting this great region.

http://www.oregonmetro.gov/index.cfm/go/by.web/id=27579