[Imc-germany-editorial] inexplicable deletion

Diet Simon dietsimon at t-online.de
Mi Sep 26 04:25:04 UTC 2018

Dear collective,

inexplicably, you have taken my story about one of the world’s biggest
banks, Standard Chartered, announcing that it will not fund any new
coal-fired power plant projects. A huge win for people power activism.

My report includes:

/“NGOs and community groups from around the world have been campaigning
hard to convince Standard Chartered to rule out all new coal,” writes
one of them, Australia-based Market Forces, calling the bank’s
announcement “incredible news”./

//

/“Although headquartered in the UK, Standard Chartered is … effectively
based in Singapore. It is dominant in Southeast Asia, where over 100
Gigawatts of new coal power plants are proposed. Not a single one of
them could be considered compatible with holding global warming below 2ºC. /

//

/“People and organisations from around the world had called on Standard
Chartered to rule out new coal power plants in their policy update. Over
an intense few months of campaigning, which involved tens of thousands
of people writing to the bank, messages came in from almost every part
of the world./

//

/“Market Forces coordinated with global NGOs and groups in Vietnam to
publish a full-page ad in the Asian Financial Times, insisting the
bank's policy update rules out new coal completely and removes them from
the three Vietnamese power stations they were in line to finance./

//

/“It looks like the wishes of those people, especially our friends in
Vietnam, have been met!/

//

/“To illustrate how significant this is, since the start of this decade
Standard Chartered had funded over 10,000 Megawatts of new coal power
plants. Before its policy update, the bank was in line to finance three
new coal power plants in Vietnam that would have added 700 million
tonnes of CO2 to the atmosphere each year. This is a huge change of
direction and one we desperately needed as we fight to prevent new dirty
coal power being built around the world.”/

Precisely the kind of activism for which the Indymedia movement was
started years ago. Activist methods worth reading about and possibly
inspiring others to do likewise. What is your problem with that?

Or is it a personal vendetta against me because I dared to criticise
your methods years ago?

You seem to have lost your way….

Diet