[Knowledgelab-Ireland] academic activism: practicing praxis in HE curriculums

Laurence Cox laurence.cox at nuim.ie
Fri Jun 15 16:32:47 BST 2007

- apologies for crossposting -

Forwarding a short survey on academic activism - please reply directly
to the organisers.

Laurence Cox

---

Academic Activism:  Practicing Praxis in HE Curriculums

Background
This research project aims to discover the extent to which
political activism
is taught in further and higher education and assist academic
colleagues who want to make it part of their teaching provision.
It is well know that conceptual and empirical enquiry into
political action forms the basis for much undergraduate and
postgraduate teaching and learning in the social sciences,
humanities and law. The recent promotion of learning and
teaching around the concept of ‘citizenship’ has meant that there
is a greater focus on the issue of student engagement with
political processes. What is not so well understood is the extent
to which this teaching and learning is actually engaged, or is
devised to equip students with the skills so that they might
become engaged, with real political activity in the world outside
of universities and colleges. Central to our concerns is the
response to any political education that is overtly critical of the
ways in which ‘acceptable’ political activity is formulated by
state policy.

Request
We want to know how you and your colleagues incorporate
political activism in your courses and would like to capture the
type of curriculum material and approaches you have developed.
In this direction, we are writing to you to ask to take a few
minutes from your time to complete a short questionnaire and
also send us a copy or links of your course/module outline and
any other material that you think may be or relevance and interest
for our research. We would be grateful if you could let us know
of any other similar activities that you think may be of interest to
our research.

We understand that you may not want to send this information in
response to this type of request. We would be very pleased to
come and talk to you about our project in more detail.

The research is neither limited to any particular kind of political
action, nor to any particular political orientation. The research is
sponsored by the Higher Education Subject Centre for Sociology,
Politics and Anthropology.

We are looking forward to hearing from you.

Dr. John Karamichas (School of sociology, Social Policy and
Social Work, Queen’s University of Belfast),
j.karamichas at qub.ac.uk

Dr. Mike Neary, (Department of Sociology, The University of
Warwick), m.j.neary at warwick.ac.uk

---

Academic Activism: Practicing Praxis in HE
Curriculums

Definition: By academic activism we mean the pedagogical
practice of academics in the social sciences that are
simultaneously committed to progressive social justice
through their involvement in social and political movements
and protest groups.

*   Basic Details

1.1.  Submitted by:

1.2.  Name of module/s and undergraduate programme

1.3.  Educational Institution

*   Pedagogical approach

2.1 How does the module help students appreciate the need for change in
the current forms of social organisation to alternative/participatory methods
of decision-making and fair distribution of goods?

2.1 How does the course help students to acquire and develop skills and
knowledge that encourage them to act according to or in support of
alternative/participatory methods of decision-making and fair distribution of
goods?

Thank you for your time.  When you have completed the
survey, please return it by email to:
j.karamichas at qub.ac.uk

Or by post to:

John Karamichas
School of Sociology, Social Policy
& Social Work
Queen’s University
Belfast
BT7 1NN
Northern Ireland

- - -
Dept. of Sociology, St. Anne's building,
NUI Maynooth, Co. Kildare
Tel. (+353-1) 708 3985
http://www.iol.ie/~mazzoldi/toolsforchange/