[knowledgelab] Re: hacklab - too technical?

Harry Halpin hhalpin at ibiblio.org
Tue Nov 15 02:38:04 GMT 2005

Actually the original use of the word hacking is simple an elegant and
clever solution to a problem - involving usually some quick and ad-hoc
thinking, often under time and resource constraints. One tends to do this
thing sort of a lot in computer programming - although one is often left
with the "kludge" - a not clever brute force solution instead sometimes.
The use of the word "hacking" to mean "breaking into computer systems"
is a corruption of the original usage by the media more or less. Although
a clever and elegant system break-in would qualify as a hack.

Still, there is nothing in the word "hacking" that is even particular
to computers, and technical only in the wider sense of the word - as
in techne - and working on practical and elegant solutions with limited
resources is probably a good corrective for over-academic theorizing :)
I think we should just let the hacklab be totally open to proposals, both
those traditionally technical and those that aren't.

 			-harry

 				--harry

 	Harry Halpin
 	Informatics, University of Edinburgh