[knowledgelab] GLOBALMEETING Make multitude, make autonomy, make worlds

Synnove Mathe synnove.mathe at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 20:11:27 GMT 2007

*Hi,*
**
*If you will go to that meeting, please tell me because I still can't trip
thru Italy since Genoa meeting , and I'm very interesting in it*
**
*Synnöve*
**
*Presentation*
The starting point of our discussion is the fact that the productive, social
and political spaces in which we live, move, fight are today immediately
global. This is demonstrated by the worldwide organisation of interdependent
networks of the exploitation of living labor,as the functioning ofstock
markets and financial markets, and the development of communication
networks.
But this fact is also made clear by a series of events that have been able
to speak a language of rebellion and liberation immediately understandable
at the four corners of the earth: the Zapatistas insurgency that began in
January 1994; the December 1999 Seattle revolt; the days of Genoa in July
2001; the anti-war demonstrations in February 2003; along with the thousands
conflicts that have arisen since then.

*The defeat of an attempted coup d'etat. From unilateralism to "governance"*

The form of command characterized by US unilateralism, theorised by
neo-cons, and incarnated by the Bush administration, which employedthe
theory and practice of "preventive war" as its principle instrument, has now
come to an end. This was a real coup d'etat within Empire that was defeated
by the many forms of resistance blocking its path: from the struggles
against neo-liberalism globalisation to the insurrection (sometimes-armed)
of populations under attack and military occupation. Though this fact does
not mean that the strongest political and military power of the planet is
not persisting in its politics of unilateral wars. The escalation in Iraq
and the interventions in Africa are just an example. Anyway, today Bush's
strategy appears to be isolated, also by the other world elites.
A new form of command is developing around the concept of "governance". It
is a more flexible, articulated sort of command. It is a system of powers
and relations that are multilateral and multiples. This new system registers
the crisis in Imperial sovereignty's legitimacy and mechanisms.
It therefore plays devices that try to control multitude's irrepressible
desire of freedom. We are not talking of anachronistic illusions of reform.
Since today material spaces of mediation are seriously reduced by
capitalistic development. Previous cycles' elements are actually differently
rearranged.
We are referring to former policies of redeployment, redistribution,
repression, compromise and war. Which is today called by the name of
international police, of humanitarian intervention and of peacekeeping.
*Continents, critical zones, territories: from geopolitical spaces of
command to laboratories of liberation struggles*
Multilateral "governance" is articulated in large regional areas, whose
borders are continental. And where old and new economical, political,
military powers overlook the Imperial scenario. Europe, Russia, China and
India; Northern America and Latin America. Other areas are taken as
"zippers", as fields of fight and partition of resources and powers. We are
particularly referring to Middle East, Central Asia and most Africa.
Contradictions are open and they propose issues and questions that hold a
general meaning and a complex value. Global Meeting's first aim develops
from this frame. And it wishes to collectively draw a cartography of
struggles and command.
A "picture in existence" does not make us content, though. We bravely
believe that we together can try to identify all those characteristics that
the various forms of social conflicts globally share. Such features may as
well draw a possible horizon of radical transformation and liberation. Since
any moment resistance spreads out against new and old powers, it itself
holds, in embryonic or unfolded forms, relation building practices that are
"other" from existent.
Some of us call this "rupture" or "constituent exodus". Others prefer
Zapatistas' "otra campaña". Which is the nexus that tightens the refusal of
exploitation and the right armies have to resist up to the experiencing of
local self-government. Indomitable autonomy of multitude's struggles is
affirmed against political and institutional dimension, which keeps trying
to bring them back to sovereignty. And cooperation of equals grows large in
networks. A new project of absolute and radical democracy can emerge from
this space. From researching the new forms of multitude's organisation,
inside and against the system of "governance" imperial command.
This perspective cannot live through formulas that summaries general
politics. This is today out of time. It should and must find precise real
routes of struggle and organisation. We therefore propose open
confrontation.
Global Meeting could be a place where participants elaborate shared
proposals. We, for instance, think of next G8 summit that is to take place
in Germany next June. What initiatives can we think of? We could also
discuss about the building of a net that studies social and political
compositions of migrants' multitudes in Europe and at its borders…
We ourselves would like to start discussing on these and other proposals
with the contribution of you all.

http://www.globalproject.info/art-10902.html