[knowledgelab] {Spam?} Call for Articles: "Politics in Community, " Communities, issue 140

Uri Gordon uri at riseup.net
Wed Mar 26 10:09:14 GMT 2008

for info
uri

--------

Hello,

Communities Magazine is now seeking articles for issue #140, "Politics
in Community." The issue will be out in September 2008.

Please send your article idea to editor at ic.org by ***Sunday, April 6***.
(Early submissions are appreciated.)

Your final article must reach us by ***Friday, May 23***.

1. Theme articles: "Politics in Community":

What is your community's relationship to politics? For example, are
larger-scale political awareness and action important to you
individually and/or collectively? Do community members have relatively
unified or diverse viewpoints on political issues? How do you discuss
political subjects? Do you have a community etiquette about when and
where it's ok to talk politics, and when it is not? Do internal politics
operate within your community that either mirror or contrast with the
political dynamics of the larger society? How do you handle political
disagreements and internal political tensions? How do you present
yourselves and your political viewpoints to people outside of your
community? Do you see yourselves as contributing to political change on
a local and/or a society-wide level?

[Please forward this email to anyone you think has a good story on this
theme for Communities magazine.]

2. We are also seeking articles about:
- Creating community in your neighborhood;
- Starting a new community;
- Process and communication issues in community; and
- Seeking community to join.

Word length is from 900 to 2500 words. We're seeking articles written in
a reader-friendly, popular-magazine style, rather than in academic style.

If you'd like to submit an article, let us know and we'll send you
Writers' Guidelines. Contact Chris Roth at editor at ic.org or 541-937-2567
ext. 116.

If you don't want to write an article but want to submit photos, let us
know and we'll send you Photo Guidelines. Contact Ann-Marie Stillion at
annmarie at ic.org.

I. WHAT "SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE" MEANS. We will promise to read your
article, but we may respectfully decline it and not publish it, or save
it and publish it in a future issue. We also reserve the right to edit,
shorten, or revise your article. Most of the time we contact authors
about this ahead of time and get their comments, corrections, etc.

II. GETTING PERMISSION AHEAD OF TIME. Please send the article only when
you have permission from anyone you need it from, such as fellow
community members. It's difficult for us to get all set to run an
article only to find that the author's fellow community members say No
at the last minute.

III. PUBLICATION RIGHTS. Once your article appears in Communities
magazine, we own first North American Publishing Rights. This means your
article appears in Communities magazine the first time it appears in
North America. After that, you own it again. If you'd like to use it
elsewhere, you can, and we would appreciate your using an attribution
line saying, "This article first appeared in Communities magazine,
(date); for further information on Communities magazine: www.ic.org
<http://www.ic.org/>."

IV. PHOTOS.

If we publish your article, we want to accompany it with compelling
images that illustrate your subject. You know your subject best, so we
are appealing to you for images. If you submit an article idea, our
Photo Editor, Ann-Marie Stillion, will send you our photo guidelines,
including how to send us your photos. In the meantime, we hope this
guide will help you. If the task seems overwhelming, see if others in
your community like taking pictures. They might already have great
images to go with your article.

If you would like to submit an article but cannot supply photos, that's
fine; however, you must give us plenty of advance notice so that if we
use your article we can get an illustrator.

No matter how you send us your photos, please remember to include
information for the caption of each photo, as well as the full name of
whomever we should credit for the photo, including their community name.
Also, if there are people in the photo, then get permission to use the
photo in Communities magazine. A good caption includes the location, all
the names of the people or group in the photo, and the date if that
applies. Also, please prepare to send hi res images; web photos rarely
will be usable.

*Content of the submitted images:*

If the story is focused on a certain person or group, include a
photograph of them. Always get as close to your subject as possible.
Photographs of your subjects engaged in their work or in their
environment make for interesting photos. We will assume that any people
in your photos have already given you permission to appear in
Communities magazine. If you think this will be a problem, please take
care of it before sending us photos.

You may also include additional, ambient photographs of a home, a table
setting, food, art, or landscape, along with your people shots. We are a
magazine about people and communities but every picture does not need to
have people in it. Maybe the image is a row of colorful shoes next to a
playground that suggests children, for example.

Modern digital cameras put the power of making beautiful images in all
our hands. Use the power and have fun!

*Color cover photos: *

We pay $150 for the images we use on the cover. If you are interested in
submitting images for the cover, please study the call for articles
posted for that issue. The best way to achieve a winning cover is to
study the magazine. Be aware that your image must work behind the
masthead, cover titles, etc.-normally the top of the image should not be
vital to the image meaning. We are seeking thought-provoking approaches
to visually communicating community-images which speak in new and
interesting ways. Surprise us. Think about what you would want to
see/say on a newsstand. Feel free to contact the photo editor with
images or suggestions. You will need at least a 6 MB camera at the
highest resolution of capture for cover photos.

Chris Roth
Editor, Communities Magazine