[knowledgelab] Bicycle Politics-Call for contributions

Aurora Trujillo aurora_trujillo at yahoo.es
Thu Apr 1 08:54:04 UTC 2010

Please, distribute widely..

Bicycle Politics

Symposium and workshop

Thursday 16th – Friday 17th September 2010

Centre for Mobilities Research, Lancaster University, Lancaster, UK

The major role and relevance of bicycles and cycling to future life seems
increasingly unquestionable. On the ground, projects across the world are
committed to promoting cycling and/or cycling-oriented subcultures. In
both theory and practice, there’s a real energy and vitality to think
about cycling differently, to carve out alternative possibilities around
the bicycle.

But if cycling is enjoying a renaissance, it is also under fire. Whilst
almost everywhere people are pushing for cycling, it also seems that
almost everywhere cycling is deeply problematic – contentious, oppressed,
discriminated against.

Bicycles, cycling and cyclists seem to invoke love and hate in equal
measure …

Bicycle Politics, a two day event hosted by the Centre for Mobilities
Research (CeMoRe) at Lancaster University, UK, aims to explore bicycles
and cycling politically. By thinking creatively and critically, its
political project is to help push bicycles and cycling further into the
hearts of our cities and societies, to improve the possibilities for
cycling to re-make our world, to assist cycling’s obvious potential to
contribute to alternative, sustainable mobility futures.

To this end, we are calling for critical explorations of the political,
social, cultural and economic barriers to current and future cycling, as
well as for critical investigations of the ways in which bicycles, cycling
and cyclists are currently framed.

We welcome all proposals for papers which contributions fit under the
broad heading of Bicycle Politics. Such contributions might examine:

Cycling and political economies and ideologies
The politics of cycling ‘promotion’
Critiques of cycling
Cycling and discriminations
Cycling and inequalities
Cycling, social control, freedom and deviance
Cycling, space and the politics of space
Cycling, social movements and social change
Cycling and identity
Cycling and the politics of representation
Feminist perspectives on cycling
Cycling and the law

The precise structure of the event will be decided later. But we
anticipate the first day comprising paper presentations, with the second
day given over to deeper explorations of the papers and ideas presented
the previous day. Our intention is for an edited collection, Bicycle
Politics, to emerge out of the event.

If you wish to present a paper, please send title and abstract, by
Wednesday 5th May 2010, to both:

Dave Horton – d.r.horton at lancaster.ac.uk and Aurora Trujillo –
a.trujilloperaire at reading.ac.uk

We aim for the symposium and workshop to be free and open to all. However,
spaces could be limited. So if you would like to participate, but do not
plan to present a paper, please email us to reserve a place.