[LAF] Re LAF Digest, Vol 2, Issue 13

Christian Michel Ch_Michel_Valmet at compuserve.com
Wed Apr 27 17:07:03 UTC 2005

>Suggest for the LAF double bill at
>ramparts we start at 12:00 for
>soft drinks and food... then Stevphen's
>talk starts at 1:00 - then his talk and discussion
>finish at 3:00.

That's on 14 May (always worth reminding people).
2 hours means a long long talk and discussion.
What abt 45 minutres talk and 45 minutes discussion?

>Then we have another hours break of refreshments
>- so SOMA start at 4:00 and go on till 7:00
>at which point people can stick around for further refreshments
>for an hour...

Maybe that 2nd break could be shorter.
Breaks are always a way to lose people.

Meaning that if we hv 90 minutes for Stevphen,
+ 30 minutes break, we wud start SOMA at 3pm

>I suggest we stick to May's dates and run meetings
>on 2nd and 4th Sat. of each month... Venue??

Yes for the dates. That had been agreed.
What's wrong with Freedom Press?
I thought we all liked it as a venue
and it brings traffic to the bookshop
(I bought a book last time that I would have
ordered online if not for the meeting).

>Anyway, suggest that one of the dates we (almost) always
>stick to - the other is generally
>fixed too but can be moved
>if it's difficult for speaker to attend...
>Hmmm... Any thoughts?

Stick to the dates. Even if it means we have to wait
a long time for the speaker to be free on the day.
Regularity is key to attracting a public.

>suggest we each have 1 or 2 talks prepared
>so we can do an impromptu talk

Your impromptu talks are better than what
most invited speakers will deliver  :-)

Christian

Message text written by INTERNET:laf at lists.aktivix.org
From: justin <hooper_jackson at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [LAF] LAF double bill and future talks

Suggest for the LAF double bill at
ramparts we start at 12:00 for
soft drinks and food... then Stevphen's
talk starts at 1:00 - then his talk and discussion
finish at 3:00.

Then we have another hours break of refreshments
- so SOMA start at 4:00 and go on till 7:00
at which point people can stick around for further refreshments
for an hour...

We could actually book some bands for the evening, say, and
have some stalls - e.g. Black Cat Press and/or Freedom
for the evening too - plus sell some alcoholic drinks??

I suggest we stick to May's dates and run meetings
on 2nd and 4th Sat. of each month... Venue??
Ramparts have a lot of events on so might not be good
to make it a permenant venue...

Anyway, suggest that one of the dates we (almost) always
stick to - the other is generally
fixed too but can be moved
if it's difficult for speaker to attend...

Hmmm... Any thoughts?

We've got space for a talk at end of May and then there's June
etc. to think about. How about trying to find a G8 speaker before
the g8 in July (and/or afterwards - afterwards can be benficial
- summary of what happened - positives/negatives, etc.)...
I'll probably be able to get one speaker (on eco-anarchism)...

Also - for regulars, and anyone else, if we find it difficult
to get a speaker or there's a cancellation for a particular
date - then suggest
we each have 1 or 2 talks prepared so we can do an imromptu
talk or introduce a symposium, if needed...

Justin
<