[LAF] notes from Saturday discussion

steve ash steveash_2001 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jun 27 00:36:53 UTC 2005

Here's my memory of some of the points after my talk,
can anyone remember any more, or  correct any mistakes
in my memory?

I'll post with transcript to Indymedia on Wednesday.

Point 1 The System is not closed in the sense it never
changes but continues to evolve in response to
changing conditions and opposition to it.

Point 2 The system absorbs everything and turns it to
its own advantage.

Point 3 It contains contradictions already and can
only absorb so much before these become untenable.

Point 4 Activism does have small successes and we can
build on these with each successive action.

Point 5 Are these real successes?

Point 6 Successful activism is often that with a
specific goal, and one that doesn’t challenge the
system (i.e. pressure in legal cases etc) rather than
in general radical demonstrations like anti-globalist
events.

Point 7 This works because it reinforces the illusion
of democracy, without changing very much, so it is not
seriously opposed by the establishment, in fact they
need it to happen. We can work with non-anarchists on
this level.

Point 8 But should anarchists put all their efforts
into such reformist campaigns?

Point 9 Small local issues can be shown to be part of
a bigger picture, namely the
politico-economic-ideological culture that shapes
everything.

Point 10 We need counter events that inspire and show
alternative ways of existence not ‘demos’ or
‘blockades’.

Point 11 We already have these and they are part of
the G8 demos.

Point 12 Yes, but are they open to all are just the
‘activist clique’

Point 13 We are over intellectualising and should just
act

Point 14 That’s the problem we act with out thought to
what we are doing.

Point 15 Free Will is overrated we are all largely
just automatons pre-programmed by the system, we need
to break away.

Point 16 The Ruling Class, Middle Class and Working
Class are all part of Capitalist Society and are the
three pillars that support it, we need to step otside
of society and pull down all three pillars, both
externally and within ourselves.

Point 17 This going outside of society is not easy, it
is akin to debrainwashing ourselves.

Point 18 It can happen in ‘revolutionary’ situations.

Point 19 We can rationally decide on a strategy to
derationalise and make the revolution entirely
subjective in the moment.

Point 20 We represent no one but ourselves in this.

Point 21 The revolution will not happen yet we have to
work on other issues first

Point 22 That’s the problem, if we think that we never
will, the revolution is now and has no end.