[LAF] More Events Of Interest

LONDON EVENTS londonevents2004 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Nov 21 12:57:26 UTC 2005

      Christian/Steve/Justin
  Could you publicise the SPES Event to your contacts
  Thanks
  Ed
  __________________________________

  South Place Ethical Society
  Sunday 4th December 11am
  ‘IF A LION COULD TALK WE COULD NOT UNDERSTAND HIM’
  Wittgenstein’s remark is about the difficulty of understanding beings with very
  different ways of life from our own. Richard Baron explores what would
  make it difficult and the assumptions that we have to make in order to understand.

  see  www.ethicalsoc.org.uk/events.htm (Update 20th December check it out)

    Yurukoglu Memorial Lecture

  Sat 10th December   130pm-5pm
  Political Islam And How To Fight It
  A Communist Perspective

  "t is of the absolute necessity that the communist movement
  takes a principled stand against the rising tide of political Islam.  Communist have a duty to exhibit  its counter -revolutionary and reactionary character"

  a Lecture by    Yassmine Mather
  Deputy Editor Critique and member of the Editorial  board of
  Iran Bulletin
  at
  Marx House
  37A Clerkenwell Green
  London EC1R ODU
  Presented by the Union Of Turkish Progressives In Britain

  For Events at Housmans Book Shop check out
  www.housmans.com

  Amnesty International
UK: DON’T
TURN A
BLIND EYE
TO TORTURE
Mass demonstration at Downing St
Sunday 27 November 2005
Assemble at 1pm
Demonstration from 1.30-2.30pm

Please wear black

Torture is repugnant, abhorrent and immoral.
The UK Government is seeking agreements to return people to
countries known to use torture. Agreements have been signed
with Jordan and Libya and are being sought with Algeria and
other countries. They are not worth the paper they are written on.
The law is clear. States must never torture people and must never
send people to countries where they might be tortured.
Now is the time to tell the UK Government:
Don’t turn a blind eye to torture

Coaches are being organised from several locations.  At the present we are aware of a coach available for those  wishing to attend the demo from Exeter, Plymouth, Tiverton or places near these cities.  For more details and to book your seat please contact Mike Smith on 01392 426262 or by e-mail at mike at thinkingarts.com . Please note that Mike needs to your booking by the evening of Sunday  20th November.
We will send details of coaches for other locations as soon as we receive them.

  The London Meetup of Brights and Atheists [ http://brights.meetup.com/4/ ] is at 7pm on Monday 28th November and features a talk entitled “Looking On The Bright Side Of Life” by Mynga Futrell, co-founder of the Brights movement, who is visiting us from the USA. Venue: Back room (no smoking) on ground floor of Pitcher and Piano, 42 Kingsway, WC2B 6EY. (200m south of Holborn tube).

An Evening of Blasphemy with the Unitarians. To underline the absurdity of the law on Blasphemy, there will be an event on Wednesday, November 30 from 6.00 - 7.30 pm at the Unitarian Headquarters, Martineau Hall, 1-6 Essex Street, just opposite the Law Courts on The Strand, London. It will be light-hearted and satirical in tone, but with an important point to make. Carl Hill  recently featured in Time Out  heads a group of comics performing specially written material; Cabaret artist, Sister Mary McArthur, will perform satirical songs, and others from the world of the arts will be present including, we hope, representatives from Jerry Springer - the Opera. There will be other attractions in a lively and stimulating event in celebration of free-thought down through the ages. Light refreshments. Bring your friends and other like-minded people. RSVPs aren’t essential, but would be appreciated. Rev. Dr. David Usher on 01732 465 248 or at
dusher at sevenoaks-unitarians.org.uk. Free.

  Please foward this bulletin to others who may be interested
  or publicise individual Events to your taste

  Yurukoglu Memorial Lecture

  Sat 10th December   130pm-5pm
  Political Islam And How To Fight It
  A Communist Perspective

  "t is of the absolute necessity that the communist movement
  takes a principled stand against the rising tide of political Islam.  Communist have a duty to exhibit  its counter -revolutionary and reactionary character"

  a Lecture by    Yassmine Mather
  Deputy Editor Critique and member of the Editorial  board of
  Iran Bulletin
  at
  Marx House
  37A Clerkenwell Green
  London EC1R ODU
  Presented by the Union Of Turkish Progressives In Britain

  For Events at Housmans Book Shop check out
  www.housmans.com
  Please forward this email to others who may be interested

Visit The Events And Issues Website
for LAF page and lots more
http://www.eventsandissues.bravehost.com/

BOYCOTT NESTLE
www.babymilkaction.org.

Check Out Events At Conway Hall
www.conwayhall.org.uk/events.htm

Free John Graham see Events and Issues Site