[LAF] Zerzan speaking event May 28, 29, or 30?

Volodya Volodya at WhenGendarmeSleeps.org
Fri Apr 28 08:48:39 UTC 2006

stevphen shukaitis wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> A somewhat random and perhaps odd question: what would people think about setting up a speaking
> event with John Zerzan?
>
> The reason I ask is that Senor Zerzan will be coming to London on the 27th of May and has asked me
> to see if there was somewhere that would be interested in him doing a speaking event there on the
> 28, 29, or 30th. So would LAF being into that – at Freedom Books, rampart, or anywhere else?
>
> And, before it gets raised, yes I realize that there are many part of Zerzan’s ideas and writings.
> I myself do not agree with a large majority of them (for instance I think the overall primitivist
> critique and rejection of “technology” and “civilization” tends to reify them in often less than
> useful ways which make it impossible to engage with the complexities involved) – but nevertheless
> think there are ideas worth engaging with, even if that engagement is about finding better
> alternatives. Also, for netter or worse primitivism is influential within anarchist circles (oddly
> enough my few friends who are prims are some of the best computer programming and tech folks I
> know, an irony I can’t quite explain), and thus a chance to listen to, discuss and debate with a
> figure such as Zeran should be interesting and useful.
>
> No worries about if there’s any funding for such (it’s cool if there is but if there isn’t a hat
> passing is fine). So let me know if people are into that. If things looks then I can get got to
> John Z. with the info,.
>
> Cheers
> Stevphen

Whether or not we agree with that doesn't make it a less interesting topic. I'm all for it.

                         - Volodya

--
Hi! I am a .SIG virus! Copy me to your SIG so that I can spread!

http://freedom.libsyn.com/         Voice of Freedom, Radical Podcast
http://www.whengendarmesleeps.org/ When Gendarme Sleeps, Anarchy's Zine of Poetry