[LAF] fwd Church school bans Lennon classic

LONDON EVENTS londonevents2004 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jul 19 10:51:10 UTC 2006

Please Circulate

  Church school bans Lennon classic

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/5193816.stm
*A church school
in Devon has withdrawn John Lennon's Imagine from an
end-of-term show after teachers ruled that its lyrics were anti
religious.*

Pupils at St Leonards Primary in Exeter, Devon, had spent weeks
rehearsing the song.

But it was taken out of the running order after the head teacher and
governors decided it was anti-Christian and unsuitable for the school.

The lyrics include: "Imagine there's no heaven... and no religion too."

*As a church school we decided it was not appropriate to sing it*
Head teacher Geoff Williams
* *
* *
* Tell BBC Devon what you think <" target=_blank>http://tinyurl.com/k3kcz> *
* *
* *

Head teacher Geoff Williams said a teacher approached him because she
did not think the song was appropriate.

He said: "The teacher came to talk to me about it because she was
concerned and I supported her.

"As a church school we decided it was not appropriate to sing it."

The school has close links with the nearby St Leonards Church whose
rector, the Rev David Harris, is also a school governor.

He said: "The song expresses longing for a different world and for
eternal happiness but it says you can have this without religion."

The annual song festival at the school was held last week on the theme
of Songs for a Green Earth and Imagine was replaced by The Building
Song.

Steve Bailey, who manages the Beatles Story museum in Liverpool, said
"I
am not surprised this song is still controversial.

"I do not know if the song is suitable for children from a church
school.

Visit The Events And Issues Website
for LAF page and lots more
http://www.eventsandissues.bravehost.com/

BOYCOTT NESTLE
www.babymilkaction.org.

Check Out Events At Conway Hall
www.conwayhall.org.uk/events.htm

Free John Graham see Events and Issues Site