[LAF] List configuration change

Ian Gregory aktiv at zenatode.org.uk
Thu Mar 9 21:18:48 UTC 2006

Hello lafers,

Apologies once again for not making it to meetings.
I have been going to London quite a lot for various
other meetings and events and it is all too much.
Unfortunaately I don't think I will be able to make
it down on Saturday either.

However, I am Mr on-the-case when it comes to the LAF
list, which I can administer from the comfort of my
sofa in Hatfield.

The list has been getting an extraordinary ammount
of spam about dodgy online pharmacies etc - around ten
per day. I think the most likely reason is that one
or more subscribers have virus infested computers
(even if they were disinfected now the cat is already
out of the bag) but whatever the cause I felt the need
to take action.

All these spams are being sent from addresses which
are not subscribed to the list and there have been
no no-spam messages from non-subscribers for ages.

So what I have done is modified the list configuration
to automatically discard messages from non-subscribers
so that I stop getting inundated with moderation
requests. What this means is that anybody who wants
to post messages to this list must first subscribe.
This shouldn't affect any of you since you are all
subscribed - unless you try sending a message from an
alternate, unsubscribed address.

If any of you object to this change then I am quite
happy to revert to the old configuration - but I would
then offer my resignation as list owner and someone else
would have to volunteer to wade through the spam:-)

By the way, I have been playing with my website over
the past few months. You might be interested to look at
the Anarchism section (check out Notes and Links too):

http://www.zenatode.org.uk/ian/anarchism/index.html

"There can be no knowledge without emotion. We may be
aware of a truth, yet until we have felt its force, it
is not ours. To the cognition of the brain must be added
the experience of the soul." - Arnold Bennett

Ian

--
Ian Gregory
http://www.zenatode.org.uk/ian/