[LAF] English Dictionary

stevphen shukaitis stevphen at mutualaid.org
Sun May 7 17:57:15 UTC 2006

the dolls: they are Matryoshka (in Cyrillic ???????? or ????????). that's also the word now used
for the new open source audio / video format of the same name: http://www.matroska.org/

as for the bits about definitions of patriarch / matriarchy - I can't say that I'm particularly
surprised that those who work on putting together dictionaries are hardly the most responsive to
how people change the meanings of words, in this case hopefully peeling away all sorts of stupid
assumptions about the roles of women.

as a note - one can distinguish matralineal / patralineal forms of kinship / tracking descent and
inheriting resources and what not as being distinct from patriarchy / matriarchy (distributions of
power in gendered ways). for instance there are groups in madagascar that are patrilineal and
appear on surface but to be very male dominated - but closer looking reveals that social power is
invested in "directions" given by the ancestors through preserved bones. curiously enough the
people who can interpret these messages from the ancestors are the elderly females! :) so you have
what appears to be a very patriarchal arrangement that is quite more complex. not to mention that
most societies are not one or the other but mix together different forms of gendered relations of
power (gets even more complex when you add in additional gender categories like the berdache)

but i'm not expert on this - perhaps go find a friendly radical anthropologist who can tell you
more - such as when david graeber comes to london at the end of this month.

cheers
stevphen

http://www.matroska.org/