[LAF] Events And Issues Int No 91 - ANARCHIST BOOK FAIR

LONDON EVENTS londonevents2004 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon May 28 10:42:12 UTC 2007

ANARCHIST BOOK FAIR 2007
see
http://www.anarchistbookfair.org/

RITZY CINERMA
PAY DISPUTE/STRIKE

Let the Ritzy cinema know you wont be going there unless they paydecent
wages.....

PRESS RELEASE 18 May 2007
BECTU MEMBERS TO STRIKE OVER PAY AT RITZY CINEMA IN BRIXTON

After many months of negotiations, members of the Broadcasting,
Entertainment, Cinematograph and Theatre Union (BECTU) have todaygiven
management at the Ritzy Cinema in Brixton statutory notice ofthe days
union members will go on strike following a dispute over pay.To
coincide
with the release of the highly anticipated blockbuster Pirates of the
Caribbean: At Worlds End,

Ritzy staff will strike on Saturday 26 May and Friday 1 June

in an attempt to secure an improvedpay offer. Members currently on
national minimum wage (£5.35 per hour)voted unanimously to take strike
action after they rejected the company's last offer of £5.41 per hour,
or
£5.50 without a sales bonus. Local BECTU representative Jackie
Brett-Holt
said: "It is unacceptable for a company as large as City Screen to take
advantage of its workersby enforcing a wage well below the recognised
London poverty line. We have made every effort to come to a resolution
in
our negotiations,but City Screen, which runs the Ritzy, has stated that
it
will not paywages at or above the poverty line, and we are therefore
forced totake strike action."

Further information can be obtained from BECTU supervisory official
Willy
Donaghy on 020 7346 0900 or 07778 859697.
Public Meeting And Showing Of
OUTLAWED:
Rendition,torture,and disappearances in the "War On Terror"
6:30pm Friday 22nd June
57-60 Lincolns Inn Fields WC2 (Holborn Underground Station)
Speakers from Haldane Society,Liberty,Cage Prisoners and Reprive
organised by Campacc and
London Guantanamo Campaign
see also events2 page on events and issues site
see
www.eventsandissues.bravehost.com
    for previously circulated events
see also