[LAF] FW: D.A. Clarke article on the sex trade and pornography

Joy Wood joy_helbin at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 24 17:56:05 UTC 2007

"People often talk about the abuses endured by women and children in the sex trade and pornography as the price of a free society, implying that the lives of these people are a tragic but necessary sacrifice if we are to avoid totalitarianism, censorship and so on. My first reaction is always one of stunned outrage - it is so very evident that the people making the sad preachments about necessary sacrifices are never the ones who are being sacrificed, and the freedom about which they have such tender and righteous feelings does not extend to those who are enslaved to ensure it. Then comes a second reaction: What free society? For if the conditions under which the vast majority of prostitutes, and many unpaid sexual servants, live is not fascism, then what is?"
http://nopornnorthampton.org/2007/05/20/da-clarke-women-adopting-mens-bad-habits-is-not-the-answer.aspx