[LAF] {Disarmed} FW: [londonfeministnetwork] Statement on the 25th of November

michelle martin kj10680 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Nov 27 11:49:12 UTC 2007

Cheers for posting this Joy. Horrifying and unsetting
to read, but necessarry also. Am rubbish at computers
but hope i have managed to 'scan and save' it to my
computer!
It is obvious that all other forms of violence become
heightened during periods of 'official war', and i was
aware of quite a bit of this; but is useful to have
the statistics to hand.
I have read a lot of your posts before with interest,
for examp[le the ones on pornography and prostitution
- an area i am conflicted on.
Cos i believe in freedom and liberty, and know a
couple of friends who are working girls, or used too,
and they would be stuck without the money.
However, i think it is horrible in the attitute
towards sexuality it sort of gives off.
Obviously under capitalism, everything is comodified
and fetished(?) and sex is very interesting as can be
the most passionate beautiful intense feelings you can
share - to a frightning, coerced abuse of a minor, and
of course a million variations inbetween.
It worrys me that porn leads to not seeing women as
human beings also by some men, and also i think maybe
leads to violence.
What is most clear to me however, and i am
uneducated,etc, so hope i am expressing it right, is
that rape is a crime of violence and power, and not
that much to do with sex.
Cos if someone just wanted sex, they would get in less
trouble with  polis , etc, if just shoplifted or done
a bit of kiting or that, and then paid a prostitute.
I know everyone is aware of that on this forum, but
really pisses me of when u hear judges and others who
should know better - tal;king shite like 'she was
asking for it', 'he couldn't help himself' and other
such assorted bollocks.
I suppose the one piece that sums up my attitude or
come extremely close, is actually a song lyrics.
Is no answer for a dancer by Consolidated, have u
heard it, or seen the lyrics.

am glad the march type thing went ok, i would have
liked to come to that, but am not always able to get
to the computer, and get too much e-mail and spam, so
miss lots of posts - i just hapened to see this cos
was sitting here writing an e-mail to do with a irish
prisoner, who even by bourgeious law, should be
repatriated, and his life is in danger having been
almost killed in attack already. I do not agree with
his organisation, but is a human rights issue and i
see their point.

Next time there is one , perhaps it would be kl for me
to tag along. i take it is like the old 'bring or take
back the night things?

solidarity, mich

p.s. does anyone know if the e-mail i sent via channel
4 turned up as i have gone back thru my e-mails and
cannot find it.