[LAF] {Disarmed} FW: [londonfeministnetwork] Fw: young people's charter against violence and abuse in the home -

Joy Wood joy_helbin at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 28 13:19:26 UTC 2007

Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 21:37:37 +0000Subject: [londonfeministnetwork] Fw: young people's charter against violence and abuse in the home -

Finn Fox says, "Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet, and the winds long to play in your hair."> All colleagues working with children and families - > > The following is a 'charter' written by children and> young people who attended a conference on sexual> violence in Fife organised by the Zero Tolerance> Trust.> > This is our Charter towards creating a world where> the abuse of women and children doesn't happen> anymore.> > Young people should have education from an early age> to help us understand what abuse is, why abuse> happens and how to get help. We believe that all> young people need to know that bullying, hurting and> frightening other people to get your own way is> never OK. We believe that adults should not be> allowed to treat children and young people in this> way.> > Young people and children should have the same> rights to respect and equality as anyone else.> Adults need to accept this.> > We believe that adults need to find ways to help> young people which respects their privacy and their> fears. All adults who work with children and young> people need to learn about the feelings and> difficulties of young people who experience abuse by> listening to young people themselves.> > Young people and children should have a right to> protection from abuse and help and support to> recover from abuse. It should be respected that> young people can make decisions that affect their> lives. Young people who experience abuse need> support services that do not make them stand out as> 'victims'.> These services for young people and children should> be easy to get without having to have lots of adults> make decisions about them. Services which help> should be available in all communities. We believe> that the best people to help young people come to> terms with the effects of abuse in their lives are> often other young people who have experience and an> understanding of their own.> > We expect that mothers who face abuse should have> access to support, refuge and safe housing so that> they can protect themselves and their children.> Young people and children themselves should have the> right to safe housing and refuge.> > Children and young people should have a right to> expect justice from the criminal justice system and> abusers should be sent a strong message that> domestic violence, child sexual abuse and rape and> sexual assault are not acceptable in our world.> > We believe that adults, especially those who run> services for children and young people should listen> to us.> > Our voices are the voices of the future.