[LAF] ephemera 'University, Failed' issue released

Stevphen Shukaitis stevphen at mutualaid.org
Tue Dec 16 16:12:58 UTC 2008

ephemera 'University, Failed' issue released

The new issue (8.3) of ephemera: theory & politics in organization
entitled 'University, Failed' has just been released at www.ephemeraweb.org
  .

This issue is a call to discussion regarding the modern university,
and what we seek to achieve with it is to highlight the discussions
already taking place within the university, and to spurn on some new
ones.
Yet, as the entrance to today's Humboldt University tells us, such
interpretation is not enough. What counts is change.  Such change
cannot, we believe, be achieved solely by the university itself. This
insight creates huge challenges for other issues and interventions
regarding the university of tomorrow: to open the discussion to other
shareholders and constituencies within the knowledge factory, to pave
ground for other residuals, where a university may take place.

Where are these places? And what do 'the people' – the students, the
politicians, the medias, the immigrants, the elderly, the people –
want with the university? Underneath the seductive toasts and touching
speeches that the university enjoys again and again, unmistakable
signs of mistrust secrete. A dialogue about this mistrust (which
dwells well, also, within the university itself) may be what lies
ahead, meshed up with the ongoing grand failure of the university.

The editorial collective

CONTENTS
www.ephemeraweb.org    volume 8, number 3 (august 2008)

editorial
University, Failed
Armin Beverungen, Stephen Dunne and Bent M. Sørensen

articles
The Psychotic University
Burkard Sievers

Institutionalizing Critique: A Problem of Critical Management Studies
Todd Bridgman and Murdoch Stephens

interviews
Discussing the Role of the Business School
Stephen Dunne, Stefano Harney, Martin Parker and Tony Tinker

Epistemic Convenience: An Interview with Steve Fuller
Thomas Basbøll and Steve Fuller

notes
No Future
Paolo Do

 From Enthusiasm to Exhaustion:  A Day in the Life of a Human
Geography Lecturer
Kye Askins

I Wanted to Be an Academic, Not 'A Creative': Notes on Universities
and the New Capitalism
Eeva Berglund

We Are All Workers: A Class Analysis of University Labour Strikes
Amy Pason

reviews
What's It All For? Against Schooling in the Corporate
University
Chris Land

The Invention of the Business School
Nick Butler