[LAF] FW: [hic] Next film 24th July - The Weather Underground

Joy Wood joy_helbin at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 23 15:30:38 UTC 2008

Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 15:08:56 +0100From: marlene at riseup.netTo: hic at haringey.org.ukSubject: [hic] Next film 24th July - The Weather Underground
halloa bit of a heads up that next month's film from Haringey Independent Cinema is The Weather Underground showing on Thursday 24th July - see below for details. We'd really appreciate it if you are able to help publicise the film - if you can take on delivering flyers door to door on your street, or putting some in your workplace or local cafes etc, please could you email Tony Wood on woodywood2 at blueyonder.co.uk with your address so we can get some flyers delivered to you in early July. And please pass on the details below to anyone you think might be interested.best wishesMarlene  The Weather Underground Thursday 24th July 7pm directed by Sam Green and Bill Siegel, 2002 (92 mins) “Hello. I’m going to read a declaration of a state of war. Within the next 14 days we will attack a symbol or institution of American injustice.” – Bernardine Dohrn   With these words a group of young American radicals called The Weathermen announced their intention to overthrow the US government, fuelled by outrage over the Vietnam War and racism in America. Born out of the student resistance movement that saw massive protest in 1968, they went underground during the 1970s, bombing targets across the country that they felt symbolised “the real violence” that the US government and capitalist power were wreaking throughout the world. From pitched battles with police on Chicago’s city streets, to bombing the US Capitol building, to breaking acid-guru Timothy Leary out of prison, this carefully organised clandestine network attempted to incite a national revolution, while successfully evading one of the largest FBI manhunts in history.  The Weather Underground interweaves extensive archival material with modern-day interviews to explore the incredible story of this radical movement. As former members reflect candidly about the idealistic passion that drove them to “bring the war home”, they paint a compelling portrait of troubled and revolutionary times, with unexpected and often striking connections to the current world situation.Haringey Independent Cinema
£3.00 waged, £2.00 low/unwaged.
at the West Green Learning Centre
Park View Academy
West Green Road
London N15 3RB
Buses: 41, 341, 67, 230
Full film details at www.haringey.org.uk/hic
Great deals on almost anything at eBay.co.uk. Search, bid, find and win on eBay today!
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/msnnkmgl0010000004ukm/direct/01/