[LAF] FW: What is the State? May 13th, 5pm open, Brit Academy

Joy Wood joy_helbin at hotmail.com
Mon May 12 21:03:33 UTC 2008

From: camillaTo: joy_helbin at hotmail.com; ianbuxton2003 at yahoo.co.ukSubject: What is the State? May 13th, 5pm open, Brit Academy

TWELFTH ANNUAL BRITISH ACADEMY LECTURE
What is the State?
Professor Quentin Skinner FBA University of Cambridge
Tuesday, 13 May 20085.30pm - 6.30pm, followed by a drinks reception The British Academy, 10 Carlton House Terrace, London, SW1Y 5AH
Free AdmittanceThe state is the name normally assigned to the agency that wields sovereign power over some determinate territory. To understand the concept, however, we need in addition to know whose actions properly count as actions of this agency, and hence as authentic expressions of the sovereign authority of the state. The lecture proceeds by way of offering a genealogy of various rival answers that have been given to this question in modern Anglophone legal and political thought, concluding with an assessment of the prevalent view that we may now be moving into a 'post sovereignty' era beyond the state. Professor Quentin Skinner was elected a Fellow of the Academy in 1981. The author or co-author of more than twenty books, his works have been very widely translated, and his two-volume study, The Foundations of Modern Political Thought, was named by the Times Literary Supplement in 1996 as one of the hundred most influential books published since the second world war. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Twelfth Annual British Academy Lecture The Annual keynote British Academy Lecture was established to mark the Academy's move to new headquarters in Carlton House Terrace in 1998. A poster for your notice board can be downloaded here: Please visit our website for full details of our forthcoming events.Telephone enquiries:               020 7969 5246        / Email: lectures at britac.ac.uk Please note our ticketing and seating policy: British Academy Lectures are freely open to the general public and everyone is welcome; there is no charge for admission, no tickets will be issued, and seats cannot be reserved. The Lecture Room is opened at 5.00pm, and the first 100 audience members arriving at the Academy will be offered a seat in the Lecture Room; the next 50 people to arrive will be offered a seat in the Overflow Room, which has a video and audio link to the Lecture Room. Lectures are followed by a reception at 6.30pm, to which members of the audience are invited.

The British Academy10 Carlton HouseLondon SW1Y 5AH

Tel:               020 7969 5200       Fax: 020 7969 5300

Discover and Win with Live Search

http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/msnnkmgl0010000007ukm/direct/01/