[LAF] Sat 17th Curry

Ian Gregory aktiv at zenatode.org.uk
Tue May 13 14:13:25 UTC 2008

On Thursday I will be setting off to help someone sail a small boat from
Newcastle to Cherbourg and I don't expect to be back until about the end
of May. So before I leave:

There have been some recent posts to the LAF list that have been held
for moderation due to "too many recipients". When this happens I get an
email and I have to go to the web interface, log in, and approve the
post manually. While I am away I will not be able to do this. I think
the default limit of 10 recipients is reasonable (if I am talking to
people on the LAF list why would I be copying the message to lots of
other people as well?) but I could increase it if people want me to.
Otherwise people just need to be aware of the fact that emails will not
reach the list if they are sent to more than 9 other email addresses as
well. If there are people who are interested in what we have to say here
then they should subscribe and then we all know who we are talking too.

I have been having general problems keeping up to date with all my email
and in particular with what is going on on the LAF list. The problem is
partly that some subscribers are sending HTML email which appears in my
mail client as gibberish that I don't have time to decipher. Another
thing is that I often get 3 or 4 copies of Ed's emails, one (or
sometimes more) to the LAF list and others to various other lists of his
that I am somehow on.

Finally, regarding curry nights, since I live outside London it costs me
over 8 quid to get in to London, so unless I am there anyway the cost of
the curry itself is not the limiting factor. I am sorry I have not
managed to get along to one yet but I hope to do so after I get back
from my voyage.

Personally I think it would work best if we had a regular weekly time
and venue, so that if (say) I was in London on a Saturday then I could
just go along to a specific resturant at a specific time and know that
there was a reasonable chance that other LAF members were there (and if
no one else was there it wouldn't really matter as long as it did a good
cheap curry). Otherwise it just seems like too much effort to organise
and keep track of.

Apparently people involved with the new social centre at Bowl Court in
Shoreditch are planning to start up a regular Sunday evening cafe so
that would be another option for a regular weekly LAF social/food
meeting (during the summer I am well up for the idea of picnics as well
but that is obviously weather dependent).

Ian