[LAF] New Feminist Group for all genders

Echo of Freedom EchoOfFreedom at riseup.net
Tue Nov 4 17:00:19 UTC 2008

Hello, everybody,

Here is my review of the second meeting of the (so far) nameless all gender
group that i have attended the Sunday November 2. As last time i remind you that
this is a subjective perspective on how the meeting went, and should not be
confused with the minutes or some-such. Also this time i will not keep my review
chronological.

This time around there were less people attending the meeting, some were busy
and there was much less subvertisement done before this meeting, but that was
probably to be expected. We had about 8-9 people (don't remember the exact
number here), but the diversity in the people present was still there.

One interesting thing that arose from the diversity was having a person who has
actually argued against having mixed gender groups, or at least always having
gender exclusive groups present to allow females/women to empower themselves
there. Unfortunately due to the language gap the argument didn't reach the level
i was hoping for.

We had a lot of discussion about the importance of the queer theory and
abolition of the whole concept of gender identity. Two interesting thoughts that
i brought out of it are "Gender is not real because it can be acted" (i don't
remember who that is a quote of) and things becoming clearer if talking about
sexuality rather than gender in the relationships. This is not to say that there
weren't many other very interesting things discussed, just what resonated with me.

We have also went around (in the beginning of the meeting) saying what feminism
means to us. I wish i would remember what everybody has said (we should really
do a discussion on it again in a couple of months or so maybe imho).

The meeting lasted longer than two hours, but as many things which were talked
about were individual or personal in nature i will not put them in this e-mail.
All the discussions were thought provoking, and i urge anybody who couldn't make
the last meeting to come in 2 weeks.

                        - Volodya

--
http://freedom.libsyn.com/       Echo of Freedom, Radical Podcast
http://eng.anarchopedia.org/     Anarchopedia, A Free Knowledge Portal

  "None of us are free until all of us are free."    ~ Mihail Bakunin