[LAF] Last "All Gender" meeting

Echo of Freedom EchoOfFreedom at riseup.net
Mon Nov 24 11:31:41 UTC 2008

I apologise that i didn't send this out earlier, but unfortunately i had some
things going on which disallowed me to sit down and write down straight away
what has happened at the last meeting. Here is what i can recollect now,
hopefully some of you will find it useful.

The last meeting tool place November 16, and was dedicated to the problems of
gender dynamics in the mixed gender spaces. We discussed things like living
together with other people (both as the community as simply sharing for economic
reasons), having political and social groups where gender becomes a dominant
factor in the interaction, and living in the family (specifically how gender
effects the interaction).

The meeting was more themed, and Selene clearly spent a lot of time preparing
what she was going to say. She has talked in the beginning discussing some
issues that come up in the mixed gender environment and then we started going
around with the issues that we have where we live (we didn't actually get all
the way through the full circle), the discussion of the differences in how
people organise collective lives with other people where they live sprang up
from that. In *my opinion* the most important things that came out from this
were the differentiation between the communal and economic sharing (former is
when people feel a part of a community and actually interact with each other in
that way, latter is when people simply share a space) and this in term lead to
the discussion as to how the households organise cleaning and other duties
within themselves. The issue is quite interesting as it can be looked at from
two different positions, on one hand if one person in the household of equals
has higher cleaning standards, that individual ends up doing all the work, and
that is unfair for that individual, on another hand somebody who cannot feel
relaxed until everything is cleaned should not have the ability to force others
to live up to that person's standards.

After that we did discuss the specific issue that the rampART social centre is
having with the gender dynamics within the group. There were a lot of
intricacies in the situation, and i will not discuss the issue itself here, as
some parts would involve personal information, but there were some clear and
almost cliché gender issues that take place ("alpha male" psychology, blaming
the victim, etc)

We have as a group tried to figure out what would be the solution to the problem
there, but all paths seem to me to be the "lesser evil" approach, and there was
no truly positive solution. This is not an attack on the people who have
proposed those solutions, but rather realisation of the difficulty of the
resolution of such an issue.

The meeting ended with Selene presenting the written paper, but i hope that it
will be available in the electronic form somewhere, as unfortunately i don't
remember enough about it to write about it here.

                       - Volodya

--
http://freedom.libsyn.com/       Echo of Freedom, Radical Podcast
http://eng.anarchopedia.org/     Anarchopedia, A Free Knowledge Portal

  "None of us are free until all of us are free."    ~ Mihail Bakunin