[LAF] omfg

echooffreedom at riseup.net echooffreedom at riseup.net
Tue Sep 30 05:14:31 UTC 2008

> Hello,
>
> Thank you for answering my question. My next query, if you are still
>  interested in this conversation, is what should a community do if
> it  knows one of its members is a rapist?
>
> Thanks,
> Sarah

Hi,

Thanks for the questions, it *is* important to keep thinking about
these things.

The short answer is of course "I don't know". That is because each
community will have different individuals in there with different
ethical, spiritual, as well as political world views. For me to assume
that all the communities will deal with a situation so charged as this
one in the same manner would be way more naive than i wish to be.

I would, however, be able to influence the decisions within the
community i would live in. I would try to understand what does the
phrase "is rapist" mean. Does that say that a person has raped
somebody (then the question becomes has the person changed since that
act, can the person changed if one hasn't yet, and is the person
willing to change one's behaviour). This could also mean that the
individual within the community is actively seeking to assault
somebody, in this case i would be looking for the way to stop this
from happening, in fact allowing for the fact of the loss of freedom
of that individual if that is necessary to stop the rape from happening.
If you mean something different by that please let me know.

                          - Volodya