[LAF] Unjust and ineffective

VolodyA! V Anarhist Volodya at WhenGendarmeSleeps.org
Tue Aug 11 12:32:01 UTC 2009

VolodyA! V Anarhist wrote:
> Ian Gregory wrote:
>> The subject of this post is the title of a good article in the Economist
>> about America's harsh and unjust punishment of so called "sex
>> offenders", like the woman who's life was ruined because when she was
>> 17 she made the "mistake" of agreeing to give a blow job to a boy in
>> her class who was three weeks under the age of consent. She was found
>> guilty of sodomy and put on the sex offenders register for life,
>> something which has since resulting in her being forced out of her
>> home and her husband loosing his job. The article is here:
>>
>> http://www.economist.com/opinion/displayStory.cfm?story_id=14164614
>>
>> It also says that in some states you can be put on the register for
>> urinating in public or visiting a prostitute.
>>
>> Ian
>>

> Thanks a lot, this is quite an interesting article, even though there is
> a lot which is disagree with in there. I really do hope that they would
> be a little more ... "gutsy" (for the lack of another word) and actually
> attack the system rather than writing a collection of the stories.
>
> Also i found it interesting how the article opens with the in-depth
> description of the story about the female who has gotten on sex affender
> list, and then it skims though a lot of males. That's probably because
> Joe General Public will find it much easier to see how a female is not a
> "dangerous predator", where it would be very difficult for the author to
> actually attempt to smash the prejudicial attitude towards male sexuality.
>
> However, even with that criticism, it's a good article. Thanks for
> forwarding.
>
>                      - Volodya

Re-reading what i've written i see that it sounds like i'm saying that sex
crimes are what defines "male sexuality". I want to point out that this wasn't
what i have intended to say. Rather i meant that aspects of sexuality which are
being repressed are "inexcusable" in today's society when they are combined with
the "perpetrator" being male. The author has taken an easy route and has chosen
to open with a woman and spend more time talking about that case, i disagree
with taken an easy path and myself would probably flip the coin as to which case
to open with.

               - Volodya

--
http://freedom.libsyn.com/     Echo of Freedom, Radical Podcast
http://www.freedomporn.org/    Freedom Porn, anarchist and activist smut

  "None of us are free until all of us are free."    ~ Mihail Bakunin