[LAF] [allgendergroup] SWOU

Joy Wood joy_helbin at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 12 22:52:05 UTC 2009

Volodya

This is the first time I have seen your email as I am behind with reading posts for a block from mid-October to mid-April and am trying to catch up.

I wonder if this is why I hear no response when I post to allgender and LAF first hand experiences*.  I now wonder if since you met some sex workers firsthand you have formed the idea that all other first hand experiences which "talk about how they envision their fight for a better life," but which differ from the ones of the people you met in person, are not by "people, who were actual people" but by "robots or victims talked about by anti-sex-workers."  First of all, I wonder what you mean by "robots".  Secondly, I wonder what you mean by "victims" and why someone who is a victim must be despised on a par with a robot.  These ways of speaking about people are dehumanising.

There does seem to be a tendency lately that someone can be dismissed as a victim, as if that is something to be despised rather than despising the perpetrator(s).  For example, when we look back in history we would I think agree that there were many victims of the Holocaust of WWII.  No legitimate view of those victims would decide that said victims deserved their fate, or wallowed in it, or were asking for it, or deserved it, or were slow-witted to allow it to happen to them.  In other words reasonable people accept that there was nothing the victims of the Holocaust could have done to escape and that the ones who did manage to escape had done everything they could to resist the atrocity (just like the ones who did not manage to escape) and usually managed to escape with help from other people.  Recently, however, a point of view has arisen that it is shameful to be a victim (the perpetrator seems to have disappeared from the equation) and that if someone is referred to as a victim then they are being infantilised and having their "agency" taken away from them.  I do agree that it feels very shaming to be a victim but I do not think that saying actually I wanted that myself and brought it on or I decided to do that and went into it willingly changes things in the long run, only in the short run because at least I can feel less helpless/victimised because I chose my situation rather than someone else choosing it for me.  The perpetrator is the one who should accept responsibility because they are the one who chose their behaviour and who exercised their agency.  In the long run it is better to challenge the behaviour of the perpetrator(s), and challenge the system which perpetuates the opportunity for abuse.  For example, rape is commonly seen as something that, if it happens, was either chosen by or could have been prevented by the person who was raped.  Now this is counter to the facts and if we pretend otherwise, for the possible short-term benefit to the woman or man who was sexually assualted (so they can tell themselves that, for example, if they did such-and-such next time or said such-and-such they will be ok and that therefore they were ultimately responsible that this time they didn't manage to avoid it) then things will not only stand still, but worsen, because no-one will take rape seriously, saying that if it happens the person it affected was clumsy or thoughtless and caused it to happen or at least allowed it to happen.

*as an example I re-send one tape of firsthand reports from sex workers who do "talk about how they envison their fight for a better life" as I have twice before sent a link to this video of firsthand reports to allgender group but it seems to have been unremarked upon so far:
http://www.womenlobby.org/site/video_en.asp

Joy