[LAF] Blurb for Bookfair talk

steve ash steveash_2001 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jul 31 06:04:47 UTC 2009

Hows this for a blurb for the Sex Work talk?

Sex Work from an Anarchist Perspective

Is all Sex Work harmful or can it under some circumstances be empowering? Do Sex Workers have rights? Does all porn degrade its subjects or can it be an honest expression of sexuality? Would prostitution be necessary in an anarchist society or would it be abolished? How should anarchists respond to these and related issues? The LAF presents a debate on this controversial subject initiated by a panel of speakers from various perspectives and followed by an open facilitated debate. All views are welcome as long as they are prepared to listen and reason.

I can see both points of view for the selection of the second talk, I'm not sure we would get any non-anarchist attendees to an LAF talk on revolution, on the other hand we might in general be preaching to the converted at the bookfair and in more specific terms be buried in the diversity of detail.
Decentralisation might be more focused for the Bookfair perhaps, so I'm slightly more inclined to our original decision again.

How about for Bookfair:

Anarchist Organisation : Decentralised Society

It is generally supposed within anarchism that society would be decentralised in a post Capitalist world. But how would this work? To what degree would such local communities be autonomous or federated? Would all communities be based on the same political and economic system or would a patchwork of diversity be more realisable? How would industry be organised in such a society? The LAF will present a few ideas on this tricky topic before opening the floor to debate.

So what date's best for August's LAF debate on Revolution?

Also what format do people imagine our proposed post bookfair 'sunday school' take? So I can try the idea out with the bookfair organisers.

Steve