[LAF] URGENT ACTION: Seizure of the humanitarian ship by the Sri Lankan Navy

antines at yahoo.co.uk antines at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jun 7 19:41:13 UTC 2009

apologies for cross posting

Please Circulate
I have been requested to circulate the following information.
Using copy and paste and the live email links to the media given below
it is possible to send the standard ;letter  to all of them in just a few minutes
Please take this action and then send this request to as many people as you can
Thank You
Ed

Dear all,

We need to bombard the British media (especially the tabloids not covering the story) with e-mails demanding that the seizure of the humanitarian ship by the Sri Lankan Navy taking aid to the island be reported. We need to exert the necessary pressure upon the Sri Lankan Government to release the ship.

Please send to all your friends and work colleagues. Please send the e-letter below to the following e-mail addresses (kept short so it will only take a few minutes):

Daily Mail news at dailymail. co.uk <mailto:news at dailymail.co.uk> , Telegraph dtnews at telegraph. co.uk <mailto:dtnews at telegraph.co.uk> ,
Financial Times news.desk at ft. com <mailto:news.desk at ft.com> , Daily Express news.desk at express. co.uk <mailto:news.desk at express.co.uk> ,
Independent newseditor at independ ent.co.uk <mailto:newseditor at independent.co.uk> , Daily Mirror mirrornews at mirror. co.uk <mailto:mirrornews at mirror.co.uk> ,
ITN itvplan at itn. co.uk <mailto:itvplan at itn.co.uk> , BBC news at nationalnews. co.uk <mailto:news at nationalnews.co.uk> , Sky news.plan at bskyb. com <mailto:news.plan at bskyb.com>

------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -----

Dear Sirs,

I am saddened to hear that the ship-borne consignment of aid raised by the Tamil diaspora in Britain and Europe, destined for Tamil refugees in Northern Sri Lanka (known as the Mercy Mission (www.vannimission. org <http://www.vannimission.org/> ), has been seized while in international waters by the Sri Lankan navy.

The ship (the Captain Ali) has over 800 tons of invaluable aid (food and medicine) on board. It has the full backing of 31 British MPs and a large number of celebrities includin g Joanna Lumley, Maya Arulpragasam (M.I.A.) & Brian May (guitarist from Queen).

It is presently languishing off the port of Colombo after being boarded by the Sri Lankan Navy. We fear for the crew, passengers and cargo. Every day it stays there another Tamil child goes hungry.

The Sri Lankan government is disingenuously claiming the ship is funded by Tamil Tiger backers but in truth it was chartered and supported by a number of charities including White Pigeon, Tamil Health Organisation, Tamil Aid, Tamil Schools Sports Association, Technical Association of Tamils, Tamil Support Foundation and by the cross-community campaigning group ACT NOW: Stop human rights abuses in Sri Lanka www.act-now. info <http://www.act-now.info/> .

We urge you to report on this outrageous and inhumane act. We urge you to ask the Sri Lankan Government to justify denying this aid to Tamil civilians. We also urge you to ask them when they will release the ship so the aid can reach the needy refugees in northern Sri Lanka?

Yours

(Your Name

Ed McArthur   07981  900  563

www.eventsandissues.bravehost.com