[LAF] Fw: [resistg82005] Updated Anarchist Movement Conference Programme - Plan, Format and Content

justin hooper_jackson at yahoo.com
Sat May 16 20:18:59 UTC 2009

Apologies for cross posting...

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: michael bakunin <michael_bakunin at hotmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 10:33:38 AM
Subject: [resistg82005] Updated Anarchist Movement Conference Programme - Plan, Format and Content

Updated Anarchist Movement Conference Programme - Plan, Format and Content
June 6th/7th, Queen Mary University, Mile End, London E1 4NS
w: www.conference09.org.uk // e: info at conference09.org.uk

(1.) Update Intro
(2.) Registration
(3.) Conference Itenary
(4.) After the Conference

1. Update Intro

The
conference is structured to enable as many people as possible to
participate and speak about what they think about the anarchist
movement as it stands, to take a self-critical view and discuss areas
which would need to be improved to make our ideas gain popularity
amongst the wider population.. The format is reflective of this so we
are providing an overview so that those attending can have a greater
understanding of what is planned.

Each person that registers for
the conference either before or on the day will be allocated a group
which they will stay with during the two days. The groups will be
composed of 20 people from different organisations and towns and people
who are not members of any group. The process of composing these groups
will mean that we are presented with wider views from people we perhaps
rarely speak to. Two facilitators will aide the groups by enabling the
discussions to flow and making sure everyone who wants to speak can.
Here is the itinerary
for the two days:

2. Registration

Resistration
has picked up over the last week and we are close to having around
90-100 by the end of the week. Many comrades have yet to register, so
if you haven't yet the please do by downloading the registration form
at www.conference09.org.uk - alternatively you can now register online
using the Anarchist Bookfair Pay Pal account. See details at www.conference09.org.uk

3. Conference Itenary

Saturday June 6th (First day of the conference)

9-10am    : On the day registration
10-11am  : Opening plenary - Welcome,  introduction to the conference, housekeeping and respect policy
11-6pm    : Conference. Groups will be allocated a room, facilitators, resources.

Discussing the issues related to the first 3 themes.

    * i.   Movement or why we aren't one
    * ii.  Resistance or are we futile?
    * iii. Class or is anybody out there?

[
the aim of these discussions is for us to take a self-reflective look
at our ideas, how we implement them and how we relate it to the wider
world. We are here to learn and listen as much from others as we are to
contribute our own views.]

7pm - 11pm    :  Conference Social/Food @ Freedom Anarchist Centre (Whitechapel)

Sunday June 7th (Second day of the conference)

9.30-2pm    : Conference. Final group session.

    * iv. Ideas into reality and what's in between?

[
the final session is aimed at looking at how we can realistically move
our ideas to make them practical realities. This could take the form of
general discussions or take on a specific aspect that has come about
through the discussions. If there is commitment to propose an action
point to the
wider conference then this is the place to develop it. ]

2pm - 4pm : Final Conference Plenary

The
stated aims of the conference is to provide a space where anarchists
who are active can meet, discuss and propose courses of action on what
needs to be done. The final conference plenary will be a chance for all
the groups to converge and summarise their discussions and highlight
specific areas which their group feel were important issues. In
addition to this, each group has an opportunity to propose action
points that will form the basis of the Action Proposals part of the
conference. By action we do not necessarily mean demonstrations,
protests or campaigns - these could also be things like developing
infrastructure, educational material or strategies on a particular area.

Each
group will be give 5 mins to summarise their discussions. The action
points will be collated and merged if they are similar to other groups
proposals. We hope that some initiatives emerge, however we do not want
groups to feel they have to propose anything. The conference will
facilitate the spaces for people to congregate together to discuss the
action proposals in the following extra session.

4pm - 6pm : Action Proposals

As
mentioned above, space and support will be given to proposals that have
emerged during the conference. People can choose which proposal they
feel more passionate about and join those new groups.  All proposals
will be noted and a convener should be proposed to keep people in
contact of developments.

4. After the Conference - Anarchist Bookfair Mass Meeting

The
next appointment for the conference attendees will be at a mass meeting
at the London Anarchist Bookfair in October 2009. This will be a space
whereby we can hear report backs from any initiatives and arguments for
or against doing a similar event next year. A final conference report
will be launched at the bookfair composed of the notes taken by each
group, individual views and opinions on what was discussed at the
conference and any proposals which have been made. It will also feature
a directory of anarchist groups across the UK.

For more information related to the conference please see: www.conference09.org.uk or email us at
info at conference09.org.uk
Hotmail® goes with you. Get it on your BlackBerry or iPhone.