[LAF] Provo, Autonomy, and Ludic Politics London December 10th

Stevphen Shukaitis stevphen at mutualaid.org
Sun Nov 22 12:07:51 UTC 2009

Provo, Autonomy, and Ludic Politics
:: December 10th :: The Foundry, 7pm ::

The legendary Dutch anarchist movement Provo staged political and
cultural interventions into the symbolic and everyday spaces of
Holland from 1965 – 1967. The rise and fall of Provo stretches from
early Dutch “happenings” staged in 1962 to the “Death of Provo” in
1967. Although a small group they cast a disproportionately large
shadow on the events of the time due to their skillful analysis of
social unrest among Dutch youth. By tying their political program to
the rich magical heritage of Amsterdam’s bohemian subculture they
created political street theater that captured the pulse of
Amsterdam’s population.

Come join us to celebrate the release of Provo: Amsterdm’s Anarchist
Revolt by Richard Kempton, the first book length English history and
analysis of Provo. We will be joined by several of the members of
Provo including Hans Plomp, Auke Boersma, Luud Schimmelpennink and
Nico van Apeldoorn. The evening will include appearances by members of
Radio Joy (http://radiojoy.co.uk) as well as recently recovered and
translated video footage from the period. We will explore the history
and activities of Provo, tracing out their legacies and continuing
influence in the realm of autonomist politics and ludic interventions
in public space.

The Foundry :: http://www.foundry.tv :: 86 Great Eastern Street ::
London EC2A 3JL: : Nearest tube: Old Street tube (exit3)

For more information: http://www.minorcompositions.info or stevphen at autonomedia.org
.

--
Stevphen Shukaitis