[matilda] Meeting notes...

Dan dan at aktivix.org
Tue Aug 23 11:06:59 BST 2005

Hia,

Last night's notes are up on the WIKI.

http://wiki.sheffieldsocialforum.org.uk/22nd_August_Matilda_meeting

Note: I'm pretty sure I've missed big chunks out of the groundrules
discussion. Can people on the list read it, and suggest additions /
discuss them on this list?

Get sticking your agenda items for next week's meeting on the WIKI too.
If you haven't looked before, the agenda page includes simple
instructions on how to create a log-in and how to edit the agenda. So if
you haven't WIKI'd before, come with us! Come into the light! Agenda
page here -

http://wiki.sheffieldsocialforum.org.uk/Matildagenda

Copied below for your viewing pleasure.

Dan
----
Notes from 22nd August meeting

Proposals

1. Proposal: jam sessions – just a time and space for getting together
and making music!
2. Proposal: research into the history of the building, leading to
various things including displays on walls. This has already been
started, but J, A and M haven't all talked about it yet...
3. Proposal: Pirate cinema film-showing – open to all kinds of films,
perhaps once a fortnight
4. Proposal Comedy night
1. J will see if MATILDA can get a stall and go give out flyers at the
upcoming Mark Thomas gig in Sheffield
2. M is point of contact for this proposal
5. Proposal: Yoga teacher to do class mid-week

Other stuff

1. Hacklab: definitely going to be finishing putting in benches at the
latest this weekend. Then we need to clean up and get things going.
2. Art Collective first meeting: this Wednesday at 7
3. Party Collective first meeting: Tuesday 23rd Aug at 7
4. Keys n stuff:
1. Code door proposal was not popular – not very secure
2. Each collective has a key
3. ... and decides who looks after it
4. ... and is responsible for making sure all members are using the
space and the key appropriately
5. ... and is responsible for making sure people who want to join / want
to get in to the building know who they should be speaking to.
5. Building: need to start thinking about costs
1. Short-term costs – there'll be some bills, and we need to think about
heating over the winter
2. Long-term – ties in to longer term plan for building. At that stage,
we need to start to think about things like rates.
6. Fund-raising and money – a natural follow-on from thinking 'how we
gonna pay the bills?'
1. Noted that someone at Earth First had a party that made £1500. Woo hoo!
2. Money from things like beer sales at the Thursday social – we need a
system. It's all far too haphazard
3. We'll be getting an account at some point soon, which requires two
signatories – so in effect we'll have treasurers.
4. Q: But do we also want a fundraising collective / one person who's
the financial point of contact?
7. Timetable and room-booking
1. Decided not to use a computer system, as that would rely on everyone
actually using it
2. First we need to identify which rooms are bookable (as opposed to
e.g. Art collective space)
3. Then we can make a simple diary system for booking the various rooms.
8. Groundrules:
1. Desirable that any decision on excluding someone doesn't overly
interfere with the Monday meeting
2. But Monday meeting to always be made aware if anything is happening
3. New groundrule: personal issues to be kept out of the Monday meeting
4. People who know the facts of an issue to come to the Monday meeting
to explain what happened, and with a proposal for what to do about it
5. Five to ten minutes in the Monday meeting to talk about any
groundrule breaking or banning, but if it goes over that because
consensus can't be reached, the issue is to go to mediation or another
appropriate forum