[matilda] notes: Tuesday meeting: events

gavin at cyber-rights.net gavin at cyber-rights.net
Tue Aug 23 21:37:02 BST 2005

BLUEPRINT FOR RUNNING EVENTS MEETING. Mon 23 Aug.

(This will be made from notes into a readable printout for the next
main meeting.)

events defined vaguley as: gigs, parties, zine readings.

Suggested we should have minmum requirements for small events
(locking up etc)
..and then again for for big events

AGENDA:

A. security:

ticket system?
restrict number of people for safety?
access? out of bounds areas?
fire exits?
don't keep lots of money on the door.

B. Internal admin:

coordinating with performers
bands etc.
money:
beeer system?
cordinating with other collectives:
cafe to do a bar etc?
clearing up?

C. If there's time at end:

security: conflict resolution at events

A. SECURITY

Use the side gate for events.
There should be a first aid kit.

Curfew entry time - people doing event can decide it, but no later
than 2am, maybe 11pm for gigs.
There should be at least 2 sober people there at all times. More if
it's a bigger event, and if you're organising, you'll

need to be one of those people.
At least 1 Matilda person need to be around. Again, more for bigger
events.

If people on the door can't run through the crowd to another point
in the building, there are too many people in. Don't let

any more people in.

*There was some debate over health and safety and legal
responsibility, some people thought we needed insurance, some
people

did not think this was how things should work. Where there are
ticketed events with public funding, which require meeting

public liability regulations, the organiser is responsible for
organising this themselves.*

PROPOSAL: We should get an 'early warning' radio which plugs into
the back of a PA/mixer for the building. To be taken to

main meeting.

PROPOSAL FOR MAIN MEETING: Infrastructure coordinating group to be
suggested at mext main meeting, which will deal with this

issue, and also fire exists (the basement fire escape needs
sorting). Also constructing barriers/gates/fitting locks for out

of bounds areas. Also a secure space for the bar collective to keep
their beer. As this is relevant for all things in

Matilda.

Access:

DE FACTO OUT OF BOUNDS AREAS for events:

Anywhere above second floor landing. Toilets accessible, but
nowhere above that.
Hacklab.
For gigs, specifically: Bar in basement for gigs, to save stress
and stops people wandering? lock the door that comes into

any upstairs space.

Also, more locks on doors for flexibility in using different spaces
for different events. eg. art events, film showings,

conferences.

PROPOSAL for main meeting: Someone knows a fellow who can come and
make keys for old locks. Is it ok for him to come and do

that?

B. INTERNAL ADMIN

1. Contacting/liasing with event people: A Matilda person should be
at every event to liase with and show people how stuff

works. If there isn't one, people will have to volunteer at a
monday meeting.

Organiser is responsible for caring for their performers. Feeding
them, making sure they have access to the building when

they need it etc. Organiser is also responsible for liasing with
other collectives they require anything from (eg. cafe

collective).

2. Sleeping over: People playing/performing, prearranged, can stay
over. A Matilda person should stay with them to look after

them. If someone from Matilda pulls someone, they might be able to
stay over too.

3. Cleaning Up: is the responsibility of the organising collective.
It may be done the next day...BUT NO LATER!!! This

includes taking rubbish and recycling away.

We recycle stuff here. You have to put things in the right
recycling bins, which might mean dealing with dirty beercans.

4. Beer: Matilda should, anytime we can, do the bar and it helps
fund the space. There has to be someone responsible here. A

volunteer, be that cafe collective or someone else, looks after the
money and pays it into the Matilda account.

It was suggested that if someone else does the bar ONLY cos we
can't, a contribution should be negotiated to cover costs.

We need a secure place to keep beer between events to prevent
leakage. A storage room for the bar collective is necessary.

We need a bar collective, ideally: who take the money and put it to
Matilda. We give raffle tickets to win each beer, with a

100% chance of winning. Because of course we're not selling beer.

For special circumstances, eg. a touring band who are not going to
break even, we might give some money from the bar to help

meet their costs. There should be some flexibility here.

*There was some debate at a tangent about whether we would put on
more 'mainstream' bands/artists who are clearly taking a

profit and npt part of a DIY-orientated ethic. Some people thought
they would bring in useful money, others thought they

would contravene why we were doing this space. We decided to park
this until Pink FLoyd actually want to come and play here.*

5. Money: Money collected to be passed to responsible
treasurer/fundraising collective, or each collective takes

responsibility to paying money into an account. This to be fed into
bank/funding system decided at main meetings.

C. CONFLICT RESOLUTION

We'd like to resolve nay potential conflict. People and building's
integrity should be paramount, so if this is contravened,

we can exclude people. Calling the police is a last resort.

If someone in the building calls the police and they turn up,
deescalate. Ask them to wait and go see what's going on. It

depends on how things are at the time, the situation may be
resolved by the time they turn up.

PROPOSAL: We'd quite like a conflict resolution workshop, please.