[matilda] How was the Art 05 project a success?

mark cohen mark_a_cohen at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 14 12:19:49 GMT 2005

A couple  of points about what has been said about Art 05 specifically how
was it a success.

The opening night certainly was and all subsequent bullshit aside I think
that the event certainly added to the Thursday soicial.

The rest of it: well measures of success for art shows are difficult to
quantify but things like; what did the artists think, what did the public
think, how many people saw the show, what were the reviews like what did the
critics think, how much work sold etc are usual indications.
Personally I think it had cool bits and not so cool bits but then that's art
shows for you. It would be nice to know how many people came along.
Subsequent confusion aside I think it was fairly successful and this sort of
thing would be worth doing again.

The subsequent confusion is a real pain in the arse and more so because it
seems to have stemmed from misunderstandings (on lots of fronts) rather than
any real issues and I think that to prevent this sort of thing recuring it
would be better to tie down before hand what every one expects and make sure
that there is an agreed procedure. Lack of prior agreement that everyone
agrees was agreed on seems to be at the root of the issue.  Of course this
may not always be possible or sometimes desirable but I think that it would
help.

Communication as someone said is the key.  Not every one really understands
art shows and their funding and that includes most people who put them on
(including me and the two I have run) and as soon as people start to think
in different idioms there are problems. What I mean by that is what may be
considered normal and realistic for say an arts council funded show is often
totally inappropriate for say a commercial or guerilla style show. And what
underground venues may expect of a show may not mesh with what curators may
want if they have say a formal art idea about the show.

That all said I don't expect to be reimbursed now, too much water, bridges
etc. It doesn't bother, me like lots of people I have put a lot of effort
into Matilda (much more than in to Art 05) and I don't expect to be
reimbursed for that other than having the place up and running. Some times
we just have to put up with these things and move on. Preferably before it
gets too hard to do so easily, like in this situation.

Mark Cohen