[matilda] Non violent direct action?

jgibbon at wimbledon.ac.uk jgibbon at wimbledon.ac.uk
Wed Jul 13 14:03:08 BST 2005

I think Chris's founding principles are great.

However I want to throw  a thorny issue into the debate. I would like to
suggest that Matilda forwards non violent direct action.  Perhaps I am
alone in this.  Whatever, I would appreciate a debate on the subject.

The blockade of Gleneagles 6th July was a useful example. I was involved
with a non-violent anarchist group who successfully blockaded a road until
3pm.  The blockade was  creative, life affirming and effective. However
the press just love violence, and focussed on whatever examples they could
find, missing the real issues. Our use of violence is the state's best
weapon against us. It allows it to frame us as the bad guys.  Also -
people get hurt - which is the domination we are seeking to avoid.

What do other people think?  Any other experiences of violent/non violent
tactics in Scotland?

Jill

Hi