[matilda] Notes from meeting on 18th July
chris at aktivix.org
Mon Jul 18 22:05:40 BST 2005
The follwoing notes are on this wiki page, feel free to
corect them there :-)
The meeting started at 7:40 and it was facilated.
There were around people at the meeting and people briefly introduced themselves.
1 Info sharing
* Yorkshire Foward (http://www.yorkshire-forward.com/) own the building, Adrenalin Studios (http://www.adrenalinstudios.co.uk/) are a tennant. A legal team was suggested. One thing that the building can't be used for is rehearsal space for bands due to noise issues for Adrenalin.
* The building is unheated in winter.
* Last meeting ideas. Top 8 ideas were, Cafe, Group Meetings, Book / Info Shop, Parties, Clown Space, Art Studios, Storage / Office Space, Exhibition Space.
2 First Projects and Upcoming Events
* Gallery to be a gallery and can also used for film night and meetings etc.
* Room above gallery could be used for clowns
* Top floor artists painters etc and also crash accomodation
* Front building top floor for Hacklab and SSF
* Front building ground floor, darkroom
* Parties - everywhere!
* Matilda Magazine
* Roof Garden
* Shared office space
* Cafe / book / info shop
* Community action group
* Drugs Support Work
* Think sports - chess etc
* Bio desiel
* Shefstock (http://www.shefstock.some.org.uk/) info cafe
* Kids yoga
* Collective Meals
* Someone proposed a birthday party
3 Guiding Principals
* PGA Hallmarks (http://www.nadir.org/nadir/initiativ/agp/free/pga/hallm.htm)
Feedback from small groups
Some ideas were fed back...
* Main thing is to get things up and running
* Some things need to be decided by the whole group, eg the long term usage of a space.
* Event planning to be done by putting a proposal up on a noticeboard / blackboard and if there is no veto then the caretaker group sorts out the details.
* Weekly / Monthly meeting for the whole group ideally with one person from each group, this to be an open meeting.
* Each collective to advertise their meetings and have one or two person to go to the meeting of the whole group.
* Consensus - there doesn't seem to be a consensus on using consensus.
* Smaller groups could work on ideas and bring them back to the whole group.
* Plan of building, naming of rooms.
* Diary in each room
* Ground rules could be decided
* Some thought PGA principals too complicated others didn't agree
* Security / noise issues need to sorted by a small group
* Working group to look at other social centres
* How is this different from a state funded social centre - no grants, no money, LETS?
* Weekly meeting to have veto on proposals
* Darkroom idea was agreed
* Someone volunteered to be a caretaker for the next few weeks
* How to divide up money from parties
* The role of the email list
* Web site
There seemed to be consensus on some of these things:
* We will have some system to veto some events
* Veto can be on black / notice board or email list
* There has to be an way of deciding about what things / events can happen
* We should try to encourage things to happen, things can happen unless they are not OK.
* Certain types of events are pre-approved
* There are ground rules for the type of events that happen
* Some events shouldn't need to get agreement of whole group
* There needs to be some means for people to put on one-off events
* We will set up some kind of room booking system
* We will divide things into project collectives
* Caretaker / one-off events groups / events coordination
* A agreed mediation method for interpersonal conduct
* We have a meeting next week
* Meeting notes to go on notice board and email list
* Names shouldn't be used in meeting notes
* Seeds for Change (http://seedsforchange.org.uk/) workshop 12-5pm on Saturday on consensus decision making
* Zine reading on Saturday night
* There was agreement that people could sell things like magazines
* Two people to facilitate the next meeting were agreed
4 Small Project Groups
People said what things they were interested in working on and then the meeting continued as many informal discussions.
Aktivix -- Free Software for a Free World
More information about the matilda