[matilda] Proposals for next Monday

gavin at cyber-rights.net gavin at cyber-rights.net
Tue Nov 1 04:00:18 GMT 2005

Following a (cordial!) discussion with some of the art collective
after the meeting tonight, the following came up as proposals for
next week:

1.

Art05 organisers were expecting £40 to be given to them from the
matilda account (that is, from money raised at the bar at other
events), to cover the costs of specific materials they purchased to
put on their event (lamps, gaffer tape...there are receipts
detailing all the bits and pieces).

Other people objected to this, as it has been stated that this
money is not there to underwrite events' costs, and this would be a
bad precedent to start. Matilda is not an event funding body
(though of course in exceptional circumstances a request for us to
fund an event could be put to a Monday meeting. The example of a
conference for asylum seekers who have little or no financial means
was given).

According to our blueprint for events: for all events (gigs,
parties, art showings, film nights...), event organisers carry
their own costs, and can recoup them from charging a donation on
the door. The bar money goes to matilda.

It does also state that where costs are exceptional (for example, a
gig with foreign touring bands which is very poorly attended), we
can consider helping out from bar profits. However, the art05 event
lost money from matilda's bar by not actually charging for drinks.

So the proposal is 'should art05's costs be funded by the bar
takings from other events, given this breaks with how all other
events have run up until now?'

2.

I would like the art collective to describe their procedure for
introducing and letting new artists use the art space. They don't
seem to have one on the wiki and it seems very necessary. This
isn't intended as a criticism, but is intended in the spirit of
collectively finding a better way to do things.

For example, on the wiki, the gig collective has a greeting message
for promoters who wish to use the space, a description of the
process used by us for organising gigs with promoters, our ethos
for putting on gigs, and our contact details. It seems something
similar is necessary for the art collective if it is to encourage
people to use the space and to make it live up to its potential as
a radical alternative in the form of a not-for-profit artspace -
rather than being a 'closed club' for the artists who have already
secured a space.