[matilda] Yay for capitalism!

dan at aktivix.org dan at aktivix.org
Tue Nov 1 20:07:01 GMT 2005

Ah ha!

It's so much easier to be united when what binds you is the common vice of
greed, the common goal of power, and shared purpose of generally fucking other
people over.

It's so much easier to be morally consistent when you have no morality: that's a
consistent position! The rest of us have to manage, choosing when we're able to
listen to our consciences, which battles to fight - coz you can't fight all the
time - and realising that the only way to be consistently moral would be
suicide.

So we're left together, in this building, hoping for a better world, looking for
solidarity - and it breaks down.  We cannot unite or show each other the
humanity and kindness we all deserve.  We bicker.  (And I'm as guilty as anyone
else, of course...)

We need this to be a safe space.  Don't we?

You walk down the road: a thousand car-drivers pass you, more concerned with
their dry, convenient journey than the fate of the planet they leave their
children, or simply unable to get beyond 'if I do something alone, that won't
be enough - there's no point'.  You get angry, but then see in them a mirror of
the choices you're forced to make every day too.

Coz we're told change comes only through individual choice; we're consumers of
politics.  Isolated from each other and fearful of our own power.  No
solidarity left for the 21st Century, no collective action.

So we fall out.  Either that, or we're all just fuckwits who deserve to fail and
be replaced by student flats.

Either way...

p.s. Gavin: a big, big loved-up thanx for all the love and work you've put in,
and I'm really sorry you seem to have got so much stick recently.  Don't ever
stop!  Even when I write patronising things like this!

love

Dan