Mailtda's non-commercial use clause, was: Re: [matilda] crisisof consensus

dougald hine writetodougald at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 18:37:24 GMT 2005

On 11/8/05, atw <againstthewar at totalserve.co.uk> wrote:

> Joe> Any instance where people wanted, whoever they
> Joe> may be, represented with or to whomever, for the purpose
> Joe> of creating "spending money" is not on..

Joe, I know that you and I share an admiration for Marx - but it seems
to me a strange reading of him that makes it wrong for those who
labour to receive money for it.

The evil of capitalism (according to 'Capital') is that those who
produce things are screwed by those who produce nothing - the wages
they receive are less than the value they produce, and the difference
goes to fat factory owners who don't have to work because their
ancestors robbed the workers' ancestors. When we say we're against
"profit", this is surely what we're talking about?

If, by being anti-capitalist, we mean that we oppose the exploitation
inherent in capitalism, then it is a bit odd to argue that, rather
than working for less than the full value of their labour, people
should be forced to work for nothing at all!

If - on the other hand - by being anti-capitalist, we mean that we
oppose the existence of money full stop, we should first demonstrate
how it is possible to live right now without money before demanding
that others give up working for money.

I would oppose absolutely anyone who wanted to use Matilda for
'capitalist' activity in Marx's sense - exploiting others by creaming
a profit off their labour, creating a boss-worker relationship.

Beyond that, I think we are in more complex territory - in which it
would be a lot better if we could all stop acting as if some other
member of Matilda is the enemy within.

For God's sake, everybody - this is an amazing building, an amazing
project and an amazing bunch of people. Let's stop acting like a
parody of ourselves!

--
Dougald Hine
46 Alderson Road, Sheffield S2 4UD