[matilda] email list autonomy

atw againstthewar at totalserve.co.uk
Tue Nov 15 10:28:00 GMT 2005

Another topic which was discussed briefly last night (briefly because
of lack of time) was this email list.

People were concerned about acrimony etc. Also there was some concern
about people who had been moderated and how that decision was
reached/who was responsible etc. Significantly, to those on this list,
these things have either been sorted and/or people don't have a
problem with them.

One person (who's not on this list) said that this list was not the
concern of the Matilda Monday meetings because it was something that
existed outside of Matilda. By this I think he meant this list has no
direct influence on what goes on at Matilda (apart from organising
stuff that is already underway, like "who's gonna be around for the
next workday?").

This wasn't agreed upon because of lack of time. However it seems to
me a much better approach. I think decisions about how the email list
is run are better made by people who use the list than those who don't
and are just hearing about it second hand at the Monday meetings. In
this the Monday meetings are acting like a govenment.

Many, perhaps most, people on this list don't go to the Monday
meetings anyway so if final decisions regarding this list were made at
Monday's meetings the people mainly affected by those decisions won't
have a say in the way this list is run.

So my second proposal for the day is that this list should declare its
autonomy - The Autonomous Free State of the Matilda Email list.

For the Monday meetings this would be one less thing to have on the
agenda, which the way things are at the moment would be a definite
advantage.

I think there are problems with the Monday meetings. There is not
usually time to reach consensus, or even get though the whole agenda.
I put this on the agenda for last night but there wasn't time to
discuss it.

The way forward for me is to give more autonomy to collectives, and
let more decisions be made outside of Monday meetings etc.. but maybe
I'll save that for another email. First I'm gonna have some breakfast.

steve

Independent grassroots news: www.sheffield.indymedia.org.uk