[matilda] money stuff

atw againstthewar at totalserve.co.uk
Mon Nov 21 18:57:17 GMT 2005

MQ> Giving away food or drink doesn't mean the people that eat or drink it
MQ> 'profit'. That goes againt the principles of Food Not Bombs for one thing,
MQ> which I thought Matilda at least shorthand subscribed to by providing free
MQ> vegan food and generally asking for donations. Surely if the food is
MQ> generally donated or otherwise acquired, no one is out of pocket and no one
MQ> profits, provider or 'eater'. For larger events, there should be a way of
MQ> donating food and drink, pot luck, or bring your own. If no one at Matilda
MQ> can afford to provide it, is it really a necessity for enjoying an event
MQ> that there's beer available? If a few have to be sold at cost to pay someone
MQ> back, or in exchange for donations, that  should be a last resort, but again
MQ> only after no-money methods have been exhausted, to avoid the whole issue of
MQ> money changing hands at all. Though a cup of tea is nice to have before
MQ> watching a film etc, the film's still good without it, you know? I'd hope
MQ> most people expect Matilda to be different than commercial venues, in this
MQ> way as well.

Food and drink have to be paid for (OK sometimes food can be skipped
but drink never is). Drink is never given out on a basis of donations
or for free (except by mistake).

The bar is there to make money for Matilda and a campaign too usually
- in thursday's case for Indymedia. If people think that because
they're part of the Matilda collective they can get reduced prices
then they are in a position of privilige. I assume the basis for the
privilige of cheap/free drinks or food is that they've earned it. Last
week the kitchen collective felt they were entitled to a box of wine
which I gave them. If they feel they deserve it because they've earned
it then that is a form of private profit for work done. Their work
entitles them to payment - only measured in litres rather than pounds.

I thought I'd point this out not least because some of those in the
kitchen collective were the ones most vociferiously against any kind
of private gain in Matilda, especially when it came to the Artshop
idea.

I think this apparent contradiction stems from trying to keep to a
very rigid set of principles and living on buggar all money at the
same time.

BTW this is not intended to have a go at the kitchen collective. I
think they are doing an excellent job - as are others too.

cheers,

steve

PS ***HELP*** I've tried to set up a poll about private profit on the
website but it hasn't appeared on the front page for some reason.