[matilda] Social centres, funding and the PGA Hallmarks

Chris chris at aktivix.org
Wed Oct 5 15:18:06 BST 2005

Hi

I probably won't be able to make it to the meeting
tonight and I haven't had time to address Dan's wibbles
due to other stuff happening...

  https://wiki.sheffieldsocialforum.org.uk/Talk:PGA_hallmarks

But I have a couple of thoughts to throw into the pot:

1. I came across this old email when going through the
   imc-sheffield email list archive the other night:

     http://lists.indymedia.org/pipermail/imc-sheffield/2004-July/0722-is.html

   It's a critique of the rented social centres that
   Dissent were setting up last year, the Basement in
   Manchester is an example of this...

   I think it's worth reading and there are a few follow
   ups to it also...

2. The Basement is now requiring volunteers to undergo CRB
   (criminal record bureau) checks with the police in order
   that they can win some funding to do activities with
   kids...

   I understand that they have adopted these rules:

     Recruitment of Volunteers and Staff

     for projects working  with children and vulnerable
     adults All volunteers /staff on these projects should
     complete  an  application form. The application form
     will elect  information  about  an  applicants past
     and a self disclosure about any criminal record.
     Consent will be obtained from an applicant to seek
     information  from  the Criminal Records Bureau.

     Two confidential references, including one regarding
     previous  work  with children or vulnerable adults
     will be requested. These references must be taken up
     and confirmed through telephone contact.  Evidence of
     identity will be required. (Passport or driving
     licence  with Photo)

     This supplements our  code  of  practice  on  child
     protection  and  our procedure for dealing with
     concerns about  child  welfare.   Those  apply
     throughout the organisation and all staff and
     volunteers  will  be  made aware of them

The point I'm getting at with the two things above is what
road do we want Matilda to go down in the medium term...?

The road of grant applications or the road of
resistance...?

Chris

--
Aktivix -- Free Software for a Free World