[matilda] Notes on wednesday's meeting & the curse of E-Mail

Anthony Mullen ant_mullen at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 6 12:36:15 BST 2005

Dear all,
       I've just read through my E-Mails received
since 7pm last night and had quite a laugh.  Firstly,
excellent write up of the meeting Nick.

Secondly.  Its made me think about the E-Mail list.
Bear with me if you will. I've never been comfortable
with E-Mail lists.  They skew people's voices in
favour of those who like E-Mail / have easy access to
it / are often on computers (I'll call these factors
collectively people 'into E-Mail').  I check my E-Mail
a few times a week, which is more often than a lot of
people, but often a debate has passed me by before I'm
aware that it has started, because people 'into
E-Mail' have fired back and forth many messages and my
point is no longer relevant.  (Try imagining it in a
physical meeting where some people were present all
the time and most people just walked into and out of
the room occasionaly).

I know of no easy solution to this.  But what I
suggest as a starting point for debate is that each
person limits themself to 1 posting per day for each
discussion thread (unless there is a real pressing
need for more haste).

If this guideline had been in place, I'd suggest that
we wouldn't have had such fireworks on the list in the
last 18 hours.  I also think that it would
significantly democratize the E-Mail list.

Should I put this in my bag of proposals and bring it
to Monday's meeting?

take care
love
Rocky