[matilda] gigspace collective related-proposal

gavin at cyber-rights.net gavin at cyber-rights.net
Tue Oct 11 01:46:18 BST 2005

Just doing a heads up on this for the gig collective. Cuthbert's
proposal:

Therefore i propose that the matilda collective _must_ know the
full costs of any artist performing before they use the space _and_
any money raised above the costs are given to a pre-agreed good
cause (e.g. the matilda collective).

Is, I believe, going to be very difficult to put into practice. It
also sounds like we don't trust people to put on DIY gigs, and is
kind of interfering rather than cooperative. Taking everything in
this kind of detail through the monday meeting will make things
very unwieldy. There has to be a certain amount of trust in the
decisions of each collective for a space like this to work.

And, as for your other points...

I wasn't asking for a personal justification as to why you or
anyone else didn't come. I'm not interested in personalising this -
that's missing the point. I'm simply proposing that, at a practical
level, if we want to do the things people are asking of us in
regards to being self-sufficient, we'll need to enlarge the number
of required matilda people who say they WILL be there in order to
successfully facilitate any gig or party. And, obviously, that
needn't include you if you're not interested in the event.

>Also the only reason that there was an objection to the
>ticket
>pricing was because after the no boarders party someone said that
>they
>didnt think it was right for someone to have to pay to come into
>matilda,
>I beleive they brought it up at a monday meeting.

No, it was brought up on the email list, by a few people.
Otherwise, as I wasn't at the Monday meeting, I would have, happy
in my ignorance, just helped put the event on as it was.

You can read my last email on why it's not practically possible, or
even desirable, to do only free events.