[matilda] Gigs - next week's meeting

dan at aktivix.org dan at aktivix.org
Tue Oct 11 11:53:38 BST 2005

Hey up,

Don't lose hope! Most of the ick from this is due to the essentially shite
nature of e-mail communication. Everything can be worked out.

It looks like next week's meeting is going to be the one to discuss this
properly, when everyone personally involved can be there.  Shall we make sure
we get this well-facilitated, and well-planned?

There's a lot of emotion around this subject now, and, being new-agey, I
actually feel it would be worth giving some time at the meeting to how people
are feeling and how they've come to feel this way.  It's obviously draining
people who've worked their butts off in MATILDA, and put a whole heap of love
and dreams into the place.

I was speaking to some more people last night who went to the C90 place: someone
who's done nights in Notts.  He apparently had decided he wanted to do
something at MATILDA.  I suggested that it didn't quite work like that, and
that things were in flux a bit at the mo.

When I was talking about it, I imagined what I thought would be a fantastic
night - one that a lot of people had put love and passion into; spending a
month or two making decor, working on silly theatre routines, planning film
showings - dreaming about what could be.

But I also thought: this guy just sees a nice, big warehouse space in which he
can play techno all night; this is just a warehouse to him.

And maybe that's all it is; I don't know where the line's drawn.

But a concern I have for all those who *have* put so much time and love into the
place: plenty of people will be happy to turn up and use the space - consume
the work that you have put in.

But what seems to have happened is that some people (myself included) feared
this was the case with C90 - which comes down to not trusting other members of
MATILDA to know skankers from their elbow...

I still think Rockie's idea of a mimimum number of committed people to DIY the
night  is a brilliant guarantee that we don't get 'consumed'.  We would have to
work with whoever's doing the night to make sure all bases were covered, and
this would involve them...

Anyway, I think I'm rambling now.

But I just wanted to say that, if we take a step back and think about what is
actually happening - as Gav once said - look! Look what fantastic things are
occuring, that we've done! (Well... I've only built some hacklab benches, but
that's something at least!) Its direct action in action!

Go team MATILDA! What a lot of exclamation marks!

love to y'all

Dan