[matilda] pickmeup article

dougald hine writetodougald at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 10:58:43 BST 2005

Hi everyone,

I'm doing a Sheffield "special issue" for Pickmeup magazine this week.

Pickmeup is a weekly email zine that comes out every Friday. It's not
come out of the DIY culture the way a lot of things at Matilda have,
but it is very DIY (& non-commercial, obviously). Here's their
description of the stories they like:

"Every story should be a 'call to action'. Preferably a personal
story, first person, that people can read and go 'yeah, that sounds
brilliant, i wanna do that' (or 'nah, altho that was very exciting
story to read, i don't think i wanna do that') "

I did an article for them a few months ago, telling Mark's story & the
history of the building, as well as a bit about the beginnings of
Matilda. (This was when we were just starting.) You can read it here -
http://www.putmedown.com/55/sheffield/1.htm.

My idea - if it's OK with everyone - is to do a story this week about
some of the different things that are happening in Matilda. I'll come
round and interview people in the different collectives about what
they're doing & take a few pictures to show how the building's being
transformed.

If anyone has any questions about this, we can discuss it on the list,
or I'll be at the Monday meeting.

D.
xxx

ps - more about Pickmeup here - www.putmedown.com